1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bridge collapse in Washington

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by armageddon, May 23, 2013.

1. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

KOMO reports I-5 Bridge over Skagit River has collapsed. Cars in water.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That's a BIG river

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

When the I-35 bridge collapsed in Minneapolis in 2007, didn't subsequent studies reveal that 70 percent of the bridges in America need significant repairs or added support?

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Don't remember the number but I know the study did not paint a pretty picture.

Sadly, however, my first thought wasn't structural issues. Particularly in light of the train derailment in the northeast.

Just a bad feeling.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Every time I go over a big bridge, I think of that report.

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Every time I go over the I-35 bridge -- or any other in the Cities -- I think of that report/day.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Report-I-5-bridge-collapses-over-Skagit-River-cars-in-water-208758631.html#

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jesus. Hope the deaths are minimal.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Holy crap.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

I guess the 'good' news, if you want to call it that, is that it's just one segment. The Minneapolis collapse was the entire thing. Plus this happened a bit later in the evening - maybe there weren't many vehicles that got caught in it.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Crap, that gives me the willies. I've driven over that bridge before, albeit a few years back. Still, eerie.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

All the national cable news channels are airing re-runs of earlier programs. If news breaks at 2 pm somewhere, they're great with live coverage. If it breaks after 9 pm ET, they're pretty worthless.

Draft saved Draft deleted