1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bridge collapse in MSP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The thing is, more than just the span over the river fell. According to Olbermann, the bridge is 1,950 feet long total. The only thing I can think of is this bridge was extremely, extremely unsound, but it had been inspected and found OK.

2. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

There was construction going on (and unfortunately they were on the bridge when it went down), but I haven't gotten word what it was that they were working on. I think it was re cementing the closed down lanes.

3. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

But the two pier supports went down as well which left the land sections nearest to the water without support on one end and took those down with it.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

We have several at our station who grew up in Minneapolis. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing our nightside reporter (who is from Minn.) will be reporting on this tonight. It's been announced that the Twins game is going to continue because if they cancel the game, the traffic will be even worse. They said that even if the Twins wanted to suspend the game, they can't because they've been asked to keep all those people inside the stadium.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Why not stop keeping score at the game and just play ball for fun?

I do not see how earning a win or a loss on the day that this happens is proper.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ almighty. Awful beyond words. My thoughts to those up in the Cities. I've driven on that bridge before too and like JB, those images haunt me.

And I hate to be the proclaimer of doom and gloom, but even if a car landed intact on a bridge that collapsed 64 feet, it's not as if the passengers are going to walk away from it. You're still dropping 64 feet.

Terrible ... just terrible.

On another note, can the fear-mongers give it a rest until there's more information? No one knows how this happened yet.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yes, they have encouraged fans at the Dome not to leave. Plus, the game tomorrow with the Twins and Royals has been postponed.

This is a tragedy we're not going to know the full effects of for a few days. Horrible, horrible thing.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

KSTP said the roadway was being resurfaced.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

They are worried about lettng people out. You're still going to have many leaving all at once..
    Kinda seems like you're gonna have a jam-up no matter what you do.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ugh. I'm praying it was not too much weight on the bridge at one time. I'm wondering if they parked a couple full trucks in a certain spot and that caused the buckle.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I saw an interview with Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor and apparently his granddaughter was involved. They were having a press conference or something and cancelled it.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bubbler, with all due respect, a person saying he has suspicions about this massive accident isn't fear-mongering.

Draft saved Draft deleted