1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bribery, greed: All for a little bit of Ivy League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Immigrant experience huh. My ancestors have lived in this county for many generations. My generation (I am 65) was the basically the first to be admitted in limited numbers into regular colleges and have careers in non-black business and institutions.

Prior to that if you were a educated black person you had three career choices. You could be a doctor serving black patients only; an educator teaching black students only; and to a lesser extent a black lawyer.

My father was a surgeon who was stationed in post Korean War Japan. Part of his duties were to train Japanese physicians some of whom would later immigrate to the USA and practice in hospitals were he was not allowed to join.

My father was only allowed to buy property in a certain area when he moved in the late 50's to Los Angeles. He was not allowed to buy property in Redondo Beach, Santa Monica, Torrance etc.

As the boss for many years in a diverse organization, invariably my white subordinates had a higher net worth than me because of inherited wealth, primarily from So Cal real estate.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

So, how to move people past their problems, past victimhood, and into hope, and change? Because, in the end I think that's what needs to happen, and where people need to start.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Black people's attitudes are not the problem and do not need movement. Our moral and intellectual superiority are proven in that only 8% of us voted for Trump.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Without millionaire parents, she’d be just another single 19 year old pregnant girl in Kansas or Missouri, reliving the glory days of being a cheerleader and giving the backfield handjobs at the postgame party.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And exactly what the hell is an "Instagram influencer?"

And she should be thinking Safeway. Union benefits and all that.

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

a thot portraying a lifestyle to convince you to buy shit

can also be a chad or dudebro but the thot's powers are unmatched

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Cracks me up that posters here get reprimanded for fat-shaming, but mods have no problem with thot.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Question for SJ's North Carolina reps.
    What are the opinions on Carol Folt? She "resigned" (or was forced out at UNC) as the university president. Now she has been hired to be the president at USC.
    From what I read, the academic scandal at UNC occurred before she arrived. The lawyers proved the bullshit classes were available to all students and they were part of the academic process. Thus, the NCAA couldn't do anything to the Tar Heels programs.
    Her stance against the Civil War statues is the reason she is gone, from what I gather.
    Any enlightening thoughts from NC??

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The basketball academic scandal predates her arrival. It forced her predecessor out. She had been the provost at Dartmouth and went into the UNC job knowing the scandal was still pending, but I don't think anybody thought it would drag out as long as it did. The Silent Sam statue thing was unexpected. She did the right thing. She did her part to remove the statue and then wisely headed for the hills.
    The problem with the UNC gig is that higher education is especially politicized there. The UNC System Board of Governors became populated with Trumpists, who, by definition, hate higher education. I don't think she knew how bad that part of it was.

Draft saved Draft deleted