1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bribe a coach with food

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Mar 31, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Anybody know if this restaurant is good? ;D

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — Panchero’s Mexican Grill founder Rodney Anderson has made Rick Majerus an offer he can put his teeth into.
    Anderson said Friday that if Majerus becomes the next coach of the Hawkeyes, Panchero’s will give the coach free burritos for the duration of his stay in Iowa City.
    “Offering free burritos to Majerus is something I’m proud to do to show our support if he accepts the position,” Anderson said.
    It might take more than Mexican food to pull Majerus away from his current job as a college basketball analyst for ESPN.
    “At this point he’s happy where he is, and he takes it one year at a time,” Sandy Montag, Majerus’ agent, told The Associated Press last week.
    The Iowa job became open when former coach Steve Alford left to take over at New Mexico on March 23. The Hawkeyes received permission to interview Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl earlier this week, but he declined.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Having lived in I.C. for 2 years (above the Englert Theater), I can vouch for Panchero's. Delicious food.

As an aside, I worked as a volunteer editor for the Daily Iowan, and the M.E. was a sailor-mouthed girl named Kristin; it was impressive to hear her when she let loose. Anyone know where she may have landed.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If it would work with anybody, it would work with Merjerus.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Anybody who knows Majerus and has spent the last decade or so begging him to start taking care of himself is just LOVING this offer... ::)

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If Iowa City had a Tony's Locker Room, Majerus would have been hired yesterday

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Where's the food better... the ESPN employee cafeteria or Panchero’s Mexican Grill? ;D

7. So is this how a Division I school plans to recruit Whitlock?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

These guys are sneaky. Given Rick's penchant for cutting-and-running and his morbid obesity, the odds of him lasting two weeks in Iowa City are slim to begin with.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I vouch for Panchero's as well. Good grub if you love Mexican.

Majerus would only last 72 hours in Iowa period. Between Pancheros and the Ped Mall in Iowa City,
    -Pepper's Bar and Grill in Cedar Falls,
    -Mama Nicks Pizzeria in Waterloo,
    -The Amanas,
    -801 Steak and Chop House in Des Moines,
    -and Big Tomato Pizza in Des Moines,

Big Boy would need a quadruple bypass and a colonoscopy to clean him out after getting his grub on here.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep. No other cities I know of have such food offerings. Anywhere else, he'd lose weight.

I don't know how to make that blue but I figured everybody got my point anywhere.
    Trust me, you can get fat and stay fat just about anywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted