1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brianna Scurry isn't sending Xmas card to Hope Solo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Sep 27, 2007.

1. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

The comments by Solo were awesome. I wish all athletes were that honest, especially after a loss. She should have been in there. Scurry was rusty and I think the stupid move by the coach to switch keepers messed up the chemistry of the team. I think it was definitely evident on defense. That first goal, Scurry called for the ball and went after it, but the defender went after the ball anyways and an own goal happened. Did the defender trust or feel comfortable with Scurry getting to that ball? Scurry hadn't played in a real game in like three months. Solo has been in the fire the entire time. Solo would have gotten to that second goal.
    The coach screwed up and now he should be gone from coaching the national team. Put Solo back in goal and it's time for Scurry, one of the best women's goalkeepers ever, to retire.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Was John Thompson the coach of the US Women's World Cup Team?

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If Terrell Owens said "I could have caught those passes" after the Cowboys lose by 40 points when Tono Romo threw more to Terry Glenn, would we be lauding him for being brutally honest?

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Depends.

Was Owens benched for Glenn when both were healthy and had Owens caught three touchdown passes in each of the four games leading up to the benching?

Because that's the situation here. It isn't whining about getting the ball. Solo watched from the bench after keeping the team undefeated heading into the semifinal.

The comparison really isn't valid at all, in my opinion.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

What do adult diapers have to do with it? Okay I'm sorry, I digress.

I was thinking off the top of my head for a hypothetical, but rarely do we take comments like Solo's and raise them up as something GOOD about sports. Usually someone criticizes a coach or a teammate, and we ride them for not being good teammates or players. Like Iverson or Keyshawn "Throw Me The Damn Ball" Johnson or like that.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

He wishes.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Rarely does a coach make a decision that monumentally stupid, either. I do take your point.

And plenty of folks around here praise athletes for their candor. I'd agree that she went against the unwritten code in coming right out and criticizing the other player -- and she'll take some heat for that.

But the coach has it coming, and I think she'll be roundly praised for her comments toward him, as she should be.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I don't disagree with her comments about the coach, but she probably should have held off at least until they got through the third-place match. This smacks of implosion and fail.

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Tim Hardaway would like to have a recount.

10. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I think at the end of the WC, we'll hear several more players give their opinions on the move. Right now, with them having one more game I don't think any players, besides Solo (who I think is hot by the way), will complain about the coaching. But I think all hell will break loose once the third place match is over with.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I don't have a problem with her comments at all. Maybe she didn't have to directly go after Scurry, but the move was absolutely horrible. I don't know what Ryan was thinking.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

How does Solo's attractiveness or lack thereof matter here?

Besides, she's not a professional athlete. Figured you'd try to shield her from the publicity.

Draft saved Draft deleted