1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brian Tierney blasts ad staff and Guild, says costs must be cut by 10 percent

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PHINJ, Jan 23, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

At least someone called out his ad department. Everywhere else I've seen, they cut budgets and jobs in the newsroom and the ad department skates on not doing its job.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Re: Brian Tierney blasts ad staff and Guild, says costs must be cut by 10 percen

As opposed to: "We want you to blog and to file for the Web site immediately with breaking news and to produce video clips and to record podcasts and to continue doing everything you always have done in your job duties, without any change in compensation"?

We all get our rules changed in the middle of the game, one way or another, if the game lasts long enough.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And, considering we don't pull in revenue, and their jobs' very existence is based on hitting numbers.... editorial should really zip it about the advertising department.

What an AWFUL fucking job right now.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hardass.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not to mention declining circ and a shrinking product . . .
    against that background, if ad reps are holding their own, they're doing well.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I've never told an ad rep how to do their job (I don't have the personality to do sales well), and with rare exceptions I've been lucky enough that ad reps haven't told me how to do mine. But I also know there's a good reservoir of apathy among ad staffs who have their go-to customers and as long as there's no desperate need to add more, they cruise.

Know a guy who tried to do a football tab. Ad people insisted they tried but couldn't sell a single ad, and the tab got killed days before it was to publish. He heard through the grapevine that the ad people weren't interested in selling the ads, so they didn't bother. He was gone by the end of the year.

Good ad reps are gold. Bad ad reps are like bacon-wrapped fail.

7. When that same principle is applied to upper management, you give me a call.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I wonder what the unions will do when Tierney defaults on his loans and then he has to really cut staff?
    My best guess is that he is scrambling to avoid a default and looking for anyway to get around that.
    I look at sales like this, people bitch about the football tab here all the time, yet every ad rep will tell what makes money is frequency. A football tab is a one-shot deal, so it runs counter-productive to that thinking.
    At my place we make football tabs work because those ads get packaged in with basketball and spring sports. We also zone the shit out of them, so instead of just one tab, they get seven football tabs and 18 tabs total.
    That gives the ad department the frequency they need to make it work and, so far, it has.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As is the case with so many of these guys, his eyes were bigger than his stomach.

Stretch to buy, then stick it to the grunts to makes it work.

Anyone who read that magazine story about Tierney and his "heroes" is aware of just what a schmuck he is.

10. Jim Jenks

Jim Jenks Member

Re: Brian Tierney blasts ad staff and Guild, says costs must be cut by 10 percen

Pitchers and catchers in three weeks. ;D

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Phils could use a few more of the former.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My Phillies Phanatic booblehead on top of my computer bobbles that some hitting would be nice as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted