1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brian Dawkins - HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 23, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Just because we need a football Hall of Fame thread to balance out the latest baseball one. Brian Dawkins officially retires from the NFL:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7845092/brian-dawkins-retires-football

Eight-time Pro Bowler, four-time First Team All-NFL pick. Finishes with 37 interceptions and 1,131 tackles. He was also widely considered one of the best, if not THE best, safety in football for a few years.

Discuss.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Has to be in.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

In. And a very decent man, from what I know of him.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No way to quantify a position like that, but it should be a darn interesting discussion. I'd vote yes.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know that he's a lock, but I think he'll get in after a couple tries...

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

If he was a QB, yes. But safeties have historically had a tough road to travel to Canton. In a normal world, yes Dawkins is a HOFer. However, if think he falls behind Reed and Polamalu in his generation at least. Maybe behind Milloy and Sharper as well. Tough to say.

He always reminded me of Steve Atwater, who is not in the HOF. However, this is just a memory judgement...they could be way different in terms of impact/style of play.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

In. Without. A. Doubt. Him and Ed Reed are no-brainer safeties.

And no, he doesn't fall behind Polamalu.

8. printit

printit Member

9. Mizzougrad96

It will be interesting to see who gets in after fewer tries, Dawkins or Lynch.

I doubt either will wait more than 2-3 years.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you both fall well into the minority, though I can see the argument. When they play, Polamalu is better than Reed or Dawkins, but he has missed a lot of time in his career and that needs to be a big factor.

11. Mizzougrad96

All three should make Canton.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am pretty certain I am not in a minority on this one, but either way. ...

I said this on a thread last year. If Polamalu's career ends today, he is not in the HoF. He has shown a lot of flash and he has been on some great teams -- a big part of those teams. But there are a bunch of safeties more deserving.

If you mix strong and free safeties, Ed Reed is number one. Much more of a playmaker. He's about the same age as Polamalu and has just shined more. Even if you are just a stats guy, both have been injured a lot, but Reed has stayed on the field more and has done way more statswise than Polamalu.

Dawkins is a no-brainer, though. In his prime he was one of the hardest hitting, most intimidating defensive players--it's just widely acknowledged among his peers, people who watch a lot of football, etc. And he kept it up for a long time. He was nasty on the the safety blitz. Way more intimidating than Polamalu, because he flat out hit harder. And he made more tackles. Unlike Ed Reed, he didn't come with a vaunted defense (even though Philly had a very good defense) like the Ravens. But still. And then there is the longevity -- which is why he is a no brainer. To play at that level for so long.

As far as Polamalu, I respect him. And he may be on his way to the HoF, if he does some more. But he is not no-brainer territory yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted