1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brett Favre leads the Koren Robinson Pity Party

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes. And then when he does get behind the wheel again, and kills someone, but becomes a Pro Bowler, we can laud the turnaround his life has taken. I liked that story the first time -- when it was Leonard Fucking Burn in Hell Little!

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, because he'll have worked hard to overcome adversity. ::) ::)

3. Fellas: O.J. Simpson can't be guilty for the murders he was charged with because the two victims were stabbed to death. After all, everyone knows that Buffalo Bills always choke!

I thought you might like another joke that was last relevant in 1995.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Minnesota wanted to get rid of him anyway after his last run-in. That's is what he's getting zinged for. Green Bay picked him up, with the knowledge that he was going to be suspended.

As for Koren, this is his third team. Sitting him down for a year have better work for his ass. He's running out of legitimate chances to clean up his alcohol problem. #4 may have a case, but what does that do? Oakland didn't help Barrett Robbins with his manic depression before he went AWOL the night before the Super Bowl. NFL teams perform due dilligence by checking the background of every single player they either draft or acquire via free agency and trades.

The Pack knew that this was a risk and they decided to take it.

BTW, Leonard Little's ass should in prison today. No excuses.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Unless you're a dumb fuck like Matt Millen.

Nine million people in Michigan knew Charles Rogers was a stoner, yet it somehow came as a complete shock to him.

6. sartrean

sartrean Member

Well, there ought to be some fairness in the whole substance abuse policy thing.

If the NFL is going to throw people out for smoking weed or drinking too much, taking pain killers, then they need to 1.) test for steroids like they test for other drugs, and/or 2.) actually develop a no PES rule that has some teeth to it and is applicable to all drugs.

Of course, this would render the NFL nothing more than an older person's NCAA Div. III league, and will never happen.

And the NFL isn't interested in helping anybody. They're more concerned about making a buck and helping people and making a buck, oftentimes, are contradictory goals. Like others alluded to, the whole NFL policy on doping and substance abuse and its inequities are used to kick out the ones that aren't playing ball (with the NFL's money-making machine).

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Or the people who allowed him to get to this point in the first place.

Might it not be better to get him out of the locker room environment, which is the one he was a part of when he was doing drugs and apparently no one noticed (wink, wink).

Also, Sartean, I believe the NFL tests more for steroids than other drugs, and I am certain that the punishment for getting caught doing steroids is harsher than that for other drugs.

You are correct, however, in your assessment that the NFL is far more interested in making bucks than helping anyone.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Alright...as much of a Packer fan as I am, I understand the disillusionment with Favre.

But the fact is, he has a point. I think everyone here understands that Koren Robinson has or had a problem with alcohol. Fine. But is it in the best interest of Robinson to send him completely on his own when it is clear by the NFL standards that he has a problem?

He has already been suspended from playing on the field and his salary has been absconded. Favre has clearly said that he has no problem with that.

But what is the point of barring him from the team's facilities? What's the point of preventing him from participating in a program that the team put in place to help him get back on track?
    I belive Favre said the very same thing when Cletidus Hunt was suspended for four games a few years back.

I don't know how anyone thinks it makes sense for a player's lone support group to turn its back on him. Yeah, ordinary people every day have to deal with these problems, but what good does it do for the NFL to banish its players from the buildings and services that could lead them to the straight and narrow?

Edit: I'm drunk. I should not have insinuated that an NFL team is necessarily a player's LONE support group. There may be friends and family that are also there to support him.

9. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Favre's heart seems to be in the right place on this, so I'm not sure why he's being criticized. He's a recovering addict who got a lot of help from the NFL and his team.

But is it really the NFL's or the Green Bay Packers' responsibility to rehab any of these guys? Is a school going to do the same for a teacher or your newspaper for you? I work at a company where a DWI means I get fired, period. I don't think they'll be lining up counselors for me.

If Favre really wants to help him, he can pick Koren up and drive him to an AA meeting, have him over for dinner on Monday night or call him every day and check up on him. Let's see if he does that.

But here's one more thing I don't understand: Why did it take two months for the NFL to make this decision? If Robinson's next offense brought a one-year suspension, why doesn't the NFL have a list of offenses and suspend him automatically and immediately? Don't leave it in the Vikings' hands or allow another team to sign him. Drop the hammer right away and save everybody the trouble.

Draft saved Draft deleted