1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breeders' Cup: Zenyatta races for immortality

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Nov 2, 2010.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

At Churchill Downs: six races Friday starting at 4:10 p.m., eight races Saturday starting at 1:50 p.m.

Zenyatta has 19 career starts — all of them wins. In what will be her final race, she's the 8-to-5 morning-line favorite in the Classic, to be run at approximately 6:45 p.m.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm DVRing all of it since I have to work both days. I hope she does it.

My brother's very high on Uncle Mo in the Juvenile.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You can still get 5-2 in Europe. One of the great mysteries is the price she'll go off at when the gate opens.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Zenyatta gets a break with Quality Road on inside post ... this is going to be a fun race to watch.

5. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Yeah, I'll bet Pletcher isn't thrilled with the 1 hole. John V will probably have to use him a bit out of the gate so he doesn't get swallowed up. Assuming he gets in the gate, which hasn't been an issue this year.

I'll be rooting like crazy for Zenyatta to win, but no way is she bettable at 8-5. This is a terrific field with several talented stalking and late-running types.

6. imjustagirl

I'm thinking of taking a flyer on Rogue Romance in the Juvenile. Well, if I had a way to bet on it without dealing with overseas sites.

But that's my longshot for that race.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Picked up my Form today. Waiting on some advice from my brother, who can read the ink off a Racing Form. He has some contacts through his work who are familiar with the European horses and he gave me a boatload of winners on the opening day last year.

Bonne chance to all!

8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Saw Rogue Romance run twice at Saratoga, and I'm scratching my head why he's even in the Juvenile against Uncle Mo and Boys At Tosconova instead of in the Juvenile Turf. He has very unique form for a 2-year-old -- three starts, all on the grass, all at a mile and a sixteenth, two wins, including a graded stakes. This all SCREAMS for the Juvenile Turf, and yet -- and yet -- he's in the Juvenile. Imjustagirl, as hunch plays go, you will get a very fair price on this horse. And he's got a lot going for him (Leparoux, wins from off the pace, likes the distance, Smarty Jones, etc.)

9. imjustagirl

Right, the fact the line is/was 30-1 is the only reason. I don't think he can win, but I think he can finish in the money. My brother (my horse racing junkie brother) went on and on about the Juvenile Turf today and why he has no idea RR isn't in that race at all, so he's with you on that point. He's still firmly in the Uncle Mo corner, but said RR could pull off a good run.

My point (and I'm admittedly not a studied horsewoman, just a fan of spring afternoons in the paddock at Keeneland) was that maybe McPeek put him in the Juvenile to get him on the turf and prepare him for the Derby. No idea. It was all I had.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Isn't this one of those times where people will scoop up $2 commemorative win bets that they'd never cash just to say they had a piece of Zenyatta? I'm thinking only the fact that it's the Classic will keep her from going off at 1-to-9. Or am I exaggerating?

Anyway, can't wait to see her run.

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

“Rogue Romance’s breeding and his training during the summer over the main track at Saratoga indicate he will perform well on the dirt,” Runnymede general manager Martin O’Dowd said. “He’s bred top and bottom for it and everything about his conformation suggests the dirt. His talent is what has propelled him to his success on the turf.”

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not driving to Birmingham to absorb the aroma of ass and cancer from the carpet at the Race Course?

Draft saved Draft deleted