1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breast implants

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by indiansnetwork, Sep 21, 2006.

1. I understand the point you're making, but my question is this: what woman doesn't have some issue with her body? Honestly, I have never met one. Of course, having an issue with one's body doesn't necessarily equate one with having low self esteem. But I think someone who would pay thousands of dollars, endure the pain and possible ramifications of surgery, and time off work must have a good deal of insecurity with a particular body part. Or be so influenced by societal expectations and false Hollywood ideals. But if someone is that swayed by an outside source to do something as drastic as alter his/her body with plastic surgery, then I think this also stems from a low self esteem.
    Of course, a lot of thoughts I have about plastic surgery come from TV shows--Dr. 90210, Extreme (body) Makeover, etc. The people featured on these show usually have some story about how they were teased as a child because of their nose, or their flat chest, etc., etc. Never once have I seen someone say..."I decided today I want bigger boobs. I like my small boobs, but I just want bigger ones."
    While I think the decision to get plastic surgery can be multi-faceted, I think most of the reasons for doing so can be linked to a low self esteem.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Why does there continue to be a certain stigma/critical assumptions attached to women who get breast implants while people who get nose jobs or facelifts are no longer thought to have a self-esteem problem or considered unusual, depressed, overly body conscious?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, I've heard lots of people talk about how phony-looking and occasionally bizarre-looking facelifts and stuff like hair weaves are.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've heard people comment on bad facelifts or on serial facelifters.
    I just think there's still a different mindset about breast implants.
    I'm not saying it's good or bad. It's just interesting.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Instead of spending money on bigger hooters maybe these women should have spent the money on a tempur pedic mattress or Hi Def TV. Based on recent threads both items seem to bring true satisfaction to the owner.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Or they could have stayed home to watch: 'Entourage,' 'The Wire,' 'CSI,' 'Gilmore Girls,' 'Prison Break,' '24,' 'Deadwood,' 'The Sopranos,' 'Dexter's Laboratory,' or some other TV program.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

or the obvious - join and post incessantly on SportsJournalists.com. If you are so moved even post a picture of your breasts.

8. And what about the women who look like a heard a bees stung their lips? That's always attractive.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Washington Post did a good story about breat implants increasing in teenage girls two years ago for those interested.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A62540-2004Oct25?language=printer

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, Barbary Hershey disease. :-X

Draft saved Draft deleted