1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BREAKING: US economy shrank at 2.9 percent annual rate in first quarter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The first quarter as worse than original estimates.

Are we heading toward recession again?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Most of the analysis I've read seems to attribute the first-quarter slowdown primarily to a devastating winter.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Austerity has consequences.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-25/economy-in-u-s-shrank-in-first-quarter-by-most-in-five-years.html

Consumers returned to stores and car dealerships, companies placed more orders for equipment and manufacturing picked up as temperatures warmed, indicating the early-year setback was temporary. Combined with more job gains, such data underscore the view of Federal Reserve policy makers that the economy is improving and in less need of monetary stimulus.

The first-quarter slump is “not really reflective of fundamentals,” said Sam Coffin, an economist at UBS Securities LLC in New York and the best forecaster of GDP in the last two years, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. “For the second quarter, we’ll see some weather rebound and a return to more normal activity after that long winter.”

The other interesting thing is that there was an expected boost in health care spending, figuring all the newly insured on Obamacare would rush to the doctor. That didn't happen.

The revision reflected a drop in spending tied to health care services. The Bureau of Economic Analysis had estimated that major provisions of President Obama’s signature health care law would boost outlays. A quarterly services survey released this month showed the assumptions were too optimistic. Outlays for health spending actually slowed in the first quarter, subtracting 0.16 percentage point from GDP. The Commerce Department previously estimated those outlays added 1 percentage point to GDP.

If many of those plans are HSAs, the pattern will be that health spending will slowly rise as the year goes on, and then REALLY go up in the fourth quarter, when people have banked enough money to pay for services beyond the preventive stuff that, by law, does not come out of their own pocket.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just negotiated next years rates for company health care plan. Was able to
    keep increase to a minimum. $500 per month per employee or $6500 per year.

Will likely cut 2 positions but all things considered it could have been worse.

6. YankeeFan

You bastard!

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You should have just sold your yacht ...

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I bought a house. I did my part.

9. YankeeFan

Person B would be pissed!

10. YankeeFan

Yeah, but for the first time in a while, you had no divorce lawyer bills.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I had uncontested divorces. Marriage and family are WAY more expensive - like a giant Ponzi scheme.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Tsk, tsk ... I can't believe your selfishness in not having children, thereby preventing your local school district from receiving more badly needed resources.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.