1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BREAKING NEWS: SEVERAL PEOPLE SHOT NEAR EMPIRE STATE BUILDING

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Seriously?

I said amateur gunslingers. The cops presumably have had some training on how to fire a weapon accurately.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Amadou Diallo disputes your premise.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Based on other incidents in NYC it does not seems like they train the beat cops for chaotic situations and time and time again they just empty their service revolvers.

Look what happened 2 weeks ago in Times Square . Police shot a guy with a knife 9 times with other bullets missing. Seems excessive .

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So do amateur shooters.

They go to the range because they like to shoot.

Gangbangers might be lousy shots. They don't go to the range. But most enthusiasts are good shots.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yankee where did you see the 11th floor? Reports I'm seeing say he killed his boss on the street. Some say he then opened fire randomly on people walking by, or was part of the crossfire with cops.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fall Fashion week is coming up. Designers are under a lot of pressure this time of year.

Maybe he could not get a reservation in Fire Island for Labor Day weekend and it set him off.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

FOX said it was on the 11th floor of a building (which I don't think was the Empire State Building).

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nation-celebrates-full-week-without-deadly-mass-sh,29293/

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On gun taxation. No measure will ever eliminate illegal arms sales or gun violence. But if guns and bullets were more expensive, and if non-payment of taxes would be grounds for gun seizures, there would be fewer incidents like these where some guy snaps and goes on the rampage, because fewer persons susceptible to that urge would buy guns. It's one of the simplest, oldest rules of economics, to have less of something, tax it.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd be stunned if the members of either party would go after that legislation.

I would actually be for it, but I don't think either side wants to piss off the NRA.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Of course it won't stop a taxpayer who snaps. My guess is this guy could probably afford to own a gun.

It also won't stop anyone who is carrying an illegal firearm, which is probably the case in the shootings that YF has been referencing in Chicago.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I love the update:

UPDATE: Never Mind

Draft saved Draft deleted