1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking news: it gets hot in July

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Aug 4, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=/Nation/archive/200608/NAT20060804c.html

Love the gem from this Michaels guy:

Michaels noted that high temperatures are common in the middle of the summer.

"Climatologically, the last week in July is the warmest week of the year on average, and when the atmospheric flow patterns get into anomalously warm configurations during this time of the year, temperatures will skyrocket," he said.

No shit, Sherlock.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Them's a lot of fancy words.

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Did he say what happens in August? I'm dying to know.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Well I'd call B.S. on that, at least here in Texas, because August is historically the hottest month.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

"Anomalously warm configurations?" What the hell is that? Why would you use that quote? I thought we were to to write on a fifth-grade level so your average Joe understands. That quote is over most people's heads, especially on first glance.

Here, we used to have one person who normally wrote all the medical and weather stories, ones with a lot of technical terms. I could tell when she was interviewing people who tried to impress with their big words, because she would get a certain tone and say something like, "I don't understand any of this. Can you put it in simple terms because I have to explain it to someone else."

She was a smart person and she only pretended not to understand their procedures and explanations. But her way really helped convince "the experts" to bring it down to the level of your average reader.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

When it's 90 in December in Albany, N.Y., I'll start to think there's something to this global warming stuff.
    We've only had machines that burn fossil fuels for 100 years or so. There are already stats to incidcate it was hotter in the 1920s and 1930s in some years than it has been this summer, just two or three decades into the fossil fuel era. The world and the climate doesn't react that fast to anything. Not 20 years. Not. 100 years.
    You can come up with a lot of anecdotal evidence to prove almost anything.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

With every Doppler 5000 purchase, you get "The Weatherman's Official Vocabulary and Phrase Book."

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How do you keep up with all the conservative talking points? Is it a daily download or microchip in the brain or what?

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Damn, OJ. My screen just got a bath. That was fucking funny. :)

10. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Proudly and willfully ignorant since day one, like so many of your brethren and sistren.

Great line, OJ.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He's on God's phone tree.

Draft saved Draft deleted