1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BREAKING NEWS: Hillary Clinton just can't buy a break

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Feb 22, 2008.

1. SigR

SigR Member

Ok, start by saying "I feel sad..." and then elaborate into a dictionary definition of empathy.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You really can't say there is a "proper" way to express grief or sympathy. Each person is going to have their own personal way of dealing with a particular situation.

3. So if your sister passes away
    So if your family member dies tragically and its broadcast on this message board you'd rather I say "I feel sad" instead of, "I'm very sorry for your loss/my condolences/I'll pray for you and your family"?

If that happened to me, I'd rather have someone "I'm very sorry for your loss" than a flat out lie that they feel sad for someone they don't know or care about.

But that's just me.

4. SigR

SigR Member

I think it is dependent on whether you have a connection to the person or not. If someone on this message board had a family member die, then anything goes for how to show support and grief because there is a solid connection. I guess I'm arguing that when we see something that isn't connected to us directly, that we can choose to say we are sad if we are sad, or, we can do the "politically correct" thing and pray for someone or send condolences. When there is nobody receiving the condolences, or the prayers, you are just talking among your peers and telling them that you are capable of doing what is socially acceptable instead of feeling actual grief. It's a fine line and it's something I've meant to look into more deeply.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Cripes - HRC gets ripped for expressing sympathy for someone who died working to protect her. If she doesn't, I guess she appears cold and unsympathetic, like Bush not attending soldier's funerals (though he does meet with several families).

I know if someone died helping me do something (whether I knew them or not) I'd feel bad and somewhat responsible. The nut up in New Hampshire didn't have anything against the workers at Clinton's office, but did think breaking into the place and holding them hostage would get attention.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Am I allowed to say "It sucks" for the cop and his family and for Mrs. Clinton?

I sure wouldn't want to offend anyone by passing along condolences. ::)

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I have articulated this sentiment more than once.

well done

Draft saved Draft deleted