1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BREAKING NEWS: Hillary Clinton just can't buy a break

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'll call you from the unemployment line. NO FOOTBALL was one of the attractions.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What kind of communist operation are you running down there?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Oh, Moddy will tell you allllllll about their great soccer teams.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A sane one.
    Good friend in the SID ranks wrote me after I got the job and said, "No football. Smart man."

Yes, Headbutt, our other "football" team is quite good. Women's team is on rise, too. So there.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not really. People are expressing their thoughts on the subject. I have no idea how the hell that turns into "moral superiority."

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Type any number of random letters and add the suffix -ist to it, and 'yab is probably it.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Guess what, idiot -- it happened to Bush's motorcade last year:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20467072/

9. markvid

markvid Guest

And in Hawaii:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N26337463.htm

10. SigR

SigR Member

It's actually a fantastic point that is rarely made. Saying "my condolences to the family..." is sort of the same thing as saying "I'll pray for you..." or "We're all new yorkers this day." It's self congratulating. It's elevating your position by suggesting that you have some ability others don't or including yourself in a demographic that you don't belong in or aren't welcome in. The proper way to express grief/empathy/sympathy is to say "I feel sad".

11. "I feel sad" is the furthest thing from empathy.

12. SigR

SigR Member

Please explain how the comment was in any way sexist. Yeah, it was cold, but I don't see where it holds an ounce of sexism. Unless this is carryover discussion from another thread I missed.

Draft saved Draft deleted