1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking from The Boston Globe... Peter Gammons treated for brain aneurysm

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Same here. Out like a light. Gammons has a chance.

2. You can survive, but like stroke victims, you might never be the same.
    I hope the guy makes a full recovery.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

It's funny you mention it, but just before I posted it on here I checked to see if ESPN had any mention of it... and nothing. They have it now, but the first thing I thought was "why sweep this under the rug?"

UPDATE: Globe says he's out of surgery. Otherwise, it's the same Bob Ryan story from earlier tonight.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Gordon Edes has an update on the Globe site.

Interesting detail.

Did you know that his first story was co-bylined with Bob Ryan -- a 1968 story about whether baseball should be played after Bobby Kennedy was assassinated?

I realized as I was reading the story that it was just yesterday morning that I bought a ticket for the concert at Fenway that he's scheduled to play in during the summer. I guess this will change things a little.

5. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

In that first story they did together, Ryan was credited as Robert Ryan. He wrote about it last year as Gammons was about to be inducted (and rightfully so) into the Baseball Hall of Fame writers' wing.
    The telling things about the impact Gammons has had and hopefully will continue to have on this business are the things Kurkjian and Olney said last year about how gracious and helpful he was and the number of ballplayers who called the press box looking for updates on his condition Tuesday night. Do you think there are more than two or three other writers out there period who would elicit that kind of concern from the people they cover?

Draft saved Draft deleted