1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking from The Boston Globe... Peter Gammons treated for brain aneurysm

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jun 27, 2006.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Sounds like he'll make a recovery, but what a huge blow for baseball and ESPN. Here is the breaking-news link, I presume there will be more later.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2006/06/27/gammons_stricken_undergoes_surgery/

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wow. Sounds bad. Hope he makes a speedy recovery.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That's terrible. God speed.

The way that Globe story is written gives me the creeps.

Hopefully he'll be fine.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree, the use of the word "stricken" makes it sound like it is a lot worse than a 10-12 day intensive care stay. My mother-in-law had an aneurysm and they found it in time so she didn't die. Obviously, David Cone is the most famous example, but his wasn't in the brain so it may not be the same thing.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i didn't read the boston.com article so i don't know if it mentions this but jon olerud had one, too.

in any case, here's hoping the hall of famer has a speedy recovery .

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Sharon Stone and Quincy Jones each survived brain aneurysms.

I think "stricken" is entirely appropriate as a verb. Like a stroke, an aneurysm is a time bomb that just unexpectedly goes off.

7. boots

boots New Member

Here's hoping the best for Gammons. I know personally all too well of some who didn't make it.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It's not so much the word stricken.  The article reads like an obit, the Globe pats itself on the back in paragraph friggin' 3, and the verb "were" is used.  Mention of what he does now, i.e. ESPN, is conspicuously absent. 

There are a lot of baseball people, millions of fans, viewers and readers who will be doing a whole lot of praying for him.

9. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Am I the only one who was looking for "Peter Gammons treated for brain aneurysm, ESPN.com's Peter Gammons confirmed."

(Too soon? Oh god, I'm going to hell... I love Gammons. I didn't mean it, I swear.)

10. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Those of you who pray, please do....

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

When I read it, I assumed it was an obit that that topped and put online.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I wonder if Olbermann will say anything....

Draft saved Draft deleted