1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking: Circuit City -- the end

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by steveu, Jan 16, 2009.

1. accguy

accguy Member

How were video games priced? Might go by my local CC tomorrow, but I'm not expecting a great deal.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I only saw "clearance" prices for CDs and DVDs. My fiancee wanted some Personal Chef game for the Nintendo DS but we didn't see anything indicating it was on "sale".

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Those were probably the stores that were notified they were closing back in mid-November.

The rest of the stores got the notice Friday.

And like others have said earlier on this thread, don't go expecting big deals for at least a week or two. Especially since their target to close the doors is March.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I stopped by ours today, and despite a giant sign advertising "up to 30% off" I couldn't find a damn thing over 20.

No good sales yet, so I picked up three cds and bounced.

Half the people walking out of the store didn't buy a thing.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

That's the way it was when I worked there. Especially after the bankruptcy announcement.

My store manager complained we weren't selling enough one night, despite the store being pretty crowded. Well, I told him I had a theory.

"It's like our customers are buzzards and we're a wounded animal. They're waiting for the right time to strike and pick our bones clean."

He didn't like that analogy. I guess I was right though.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Went to my Circuit City today looking to grab a second controller for my Wii, some Wii games, DVDs and CDs.
    They had no Wii controllers on the shelves (the steering wheel, guitar hero stuff, and every other accessory imaginable, but no controllers).
    The Wii games, CDs, and DVDs were only being marked down 10% - so I walked out with nothing.

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

That has been my experience with these store closings, and I have seen a lot lately. Like many of you are describing, it's "up to" 30 percent off, with the 30 percent only including shit hardly anybody wants. The sale will get better, but by the time it's worthwhile for the smart ones among us, all the morans will have taken the bait and snapped up everything that is worth buying. You might get lucky and find what you want, but it's not worth the effort.

8. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

The parking lot was packed so I parked a ways out from the door.

The whole walk up I saw a lot of people coming out of the story but very few had any bags or showed any evidence that they bought anything. So I thought, "Maybe they're out of merchandise and it's down to shelving stands and the metal doo-hickeys cheap accessories are displayed on."

Nope. Just no deals good enough for this thin wallet.

And yes, I did feel like a vulture. The animal is down, but it's not quite carrion.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

We had one close here last month in the first wave. It was a good three weeks before they got serious about liquidating.

Every store has a drop-dead date to close. The closer they get the better the deals. It will take at least two weeks more the good stuff is marked down -- ie 20 dollar DVDs for seven bucks. The final three days went like this. 60 to 70 percent off, then 70 to 80 percent and then 90 percent off.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Poor fellow. Probably his last week on the job.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Nah. A guy holding a "going out of business" sign will always have a job in 2009.

12. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Solid.

Draft saved Draft deleted