1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking: Circuit City -- the end

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by steveu, Jan 16, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think that's the way it went when the Circuit City near us started its final sale back in November. Prices finally went down to about 30 percent off around the week before Christmas. Haven't been back since, so I'm not sure low it is now.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Looks like Ron Artest isn't going to get that job he applied for.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That one is probably closed. Most of the ones that started liquidating in November did not make it to Christmas.

it will be interesting to see how quickly some stuff goes. During the first round of closeouts, it was near the holiday, so people were looking for gifts. Now, people may be a little more tight with their money in this economic climate.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm going tomorrow to see what I can grab cheaply.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Saw a guy today standing on the side of the road with a liquidators "Going out of business" sign saying up to 30% off.

It was 3 degrees out when I saw this guy. How much can he be making for that misery.

6. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

They dropped the hammer just the other day?

They've had X-percent-off liquidation sales at every CC in my area for weeks.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Don't go there with high expectations of finding a steal of a deal. I went by there today and most of their stuff was still priced higher than what one could find by bargain hunting on the Internet. The signs say "up to" 30% off which in reality means their popular items are 10-20% off and the shit they have never been able to move is 30% off. If you're in the market for TV, laptop, or whatever else they have then you might find a respectable deal on something. However, if you're not looking for something specific and are just thinking about going there to see if you can get a nice item at an incredible value then I would suggest not wasting your time. The prices aren't any better than you can find online which is probably why they're going out of business in the first place.

Personally, I've never been a big fan of Circuit City and would be thrilled at seeing them going under if it weren't for all the people who will be out of jobs because of it.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I went in CC last night and saw a 52-inch LCD I'd researched for 2,600. Came home and found the same one at vanns.com for 2100. A Panasonic SC-BT100 that was 999 at CC was 699 at Vann's. Guess what I did?

9. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Again, you're not going to find the better products for blowout prices for a while, if at all. Now, you can find a laptop from last year for real cheap, but who needs that kind of headache.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Went in today looking for DVDs. Everything in my area got bumped up to MSRP and then there's a store-wide 20% off DVDs "clearance" going on.

You wouldn't believe the lines.

I did the math though. For most new release flicks, they wanted anywhere between $19.99 and $21.99. You take 20% off and that drops them down to $16.01-$17.61 each.

Usually, CC has them on sale for $13.99-$15.99 so it's not much of a bargain.

Oh, and The Wire sets? $59.99 before "clearance", $48.01 after. Not a good sale at all.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I guess that's the point I was trying to make. Fuck those lines and headaches and "sales." I had no idea TVs and such were so cheap online.

I'd have been one mad mofo had I bought that shit and then seen those prices.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bought one TV at Costco, the other at dell.com, but scoped it out at area stores first.
    Look in the stores, buy on line.

Draft saved Draft deleted