1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking Bad Season 3 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought they were just drawing out the tension. At 3:07 Hank got the call that said he had one minute before the Cousins got to him. Showing the clock at 3:08 was just to let you know his time was up.

Also, I find it either really odd or really ballsy that the show's producers are giving away the ending in the episode titles. We've had "I.F.T.", "Green Light", "Sunset" and "One Minute" the last five episodes. Gives you an idea of what's coming, but of course the fun is in seeing it play out and still being amazed.
    Next week's episode is "I See You." And from the trailer it looked like there was a scene where the surviving Cousin spots Walt in the hospital, so you can see where they're going with that.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

thanks. Missed the "You've got one minute" reference during the phone call.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I almost hesitate to bring this up since it's an obvious sign of old age, but the minute thing almost eluded me, too, and I caught it better when I watched the repeat (not the whole thing, but I tuned in for that last scene again).

This show is as bad as any for me, but the noise level between whispered or tense and muted conversations and some of the other scenes has me hitting the volume button on my remote four or five times during the hour. It's really hard for me to hear some of it -- and then, of course, it blasts you out when the noise level is normal (or god forbid, a commercial).

Our local TV critic says this is a common complaint he gets from readers, and he always replies that it's mostly old people doing the complaining -- so here I am, apparently.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

He must have healed quickly then.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's funny you mention it because I was doing the same thing--adjusting the volume

And even though I'm old as stink I don't think it's my hearing. I think it's a production problem within the show

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't think he's "healed," he's just alive. In the trailer it appeared he'd lost both of his legs.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Great episode. Knew Hank wouldn't go down. I think Gus tipped him off, but also, I think that would have been a dumb move. Because the Mexican guy said to kill Walt, not the DEA Agent. You would have to think somehow this gets back to Jesse right? He gets beat up because he is a meth dealer and then the guy who beats him up gets attacked?

So now what? Does Hank start working on the case as a P.I? Is the shit storm coming to Jesse? Is Hank going to need round-the-clock protection? Is the Uncle going to come down and mess up Gus himself because Gus got his family killed? Family is all.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think Jesse will be fine. They have the guys who attacked Hank, and if they are able to ID them it's not hard to connect the dots between Hank, the Cousins, Tuco, and it being a revenge/blood feud deal.
    As for Hank, it'll be a while before he's investigating anything. He lived, but he was shot four times. There's a great extended clip of next week's show on AMC's web site where they're taking him to the hospital and they run down his injuries. They also wheel him in right past Jesse, who has a tremendous reaction.
    Walt's the one that needs to watch his ass. If Tio was pissed at Walt before, imagine how he'll be when he finds out another one of his boys is dead and the other is crippled. Gus is probably in danger, too, since Tio obviously is not a fan of the "Big fry cook."

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The trailer showed one cousin alive in the hospital. It's in Gus' interest to whack him, isn't it? After all, he knows the true identity of Heisenburg.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Not that we'll ever know it all, but Gus' background is interesting to me. Obviously, he's been doing this awhile, since the brothers were kids in the flashback that started Sunday's show, and he's mentioned. So I wonder if he started as a street drug guy who became respectable and bought the chicken franchise, or he had the chicken franchise and got into the drug business.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

In that scene and in that phone conversation, Tio mentioned something about not trusting South Americans. Maybe Gus had a tie to the 80s Colombian drug cartels?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Tio did mention a "Generalissimo" and implied that Gus knew someone big. Was that a nickname for Noriega?
    Would that scene have been set in the 1990s, though? The Cousins looked to be 10 or 12 years old and I figured they were in their 20s now. Seemed to me like it would've been 10-15 years ago, a little after the heyday of the big Colombian cartels.

Draft saved Draft deleted