1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking Bad Season 3 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Thought the coffee scene in the lab added a fantastic touch of humanity to an otherwise tense, but fantastic, episode.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm so dumb, I didn't see the coffee thing coming until right when it happened.

Long time watcher, I don't visit the "Anything Goes" board much, not because I'm a snob, just can't fit it in to everything else. But I've become absolutely hooked on Breaking Bad.

I only have one destination show per season (two, if you count the completely different Top Chef) and I love this show.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Was that the season finale? I definitely don't think Hank gets mowed down by the cousins. The show has shown he is too good of an officer to get caught by surprise - it has also shown he has luck on his side. Besides, if Hank gets knocked off, no one is on Walt's tail.

What's next? Jesse can't sell anymore the cops are too close, so what happens? Where does his character go? I bet Skinny Pete or Mayhew get killed next.

What is with Gus? I want to know more about him. What's the point of running a drug cartel if you are just going to use the money to drive a volvo station wagon?

And what is up with Hank and not eating the crust? We've seen this 2-3 times. I know it has been put in there for some reason. I just don't know what.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think the crust thing is just to remind us how anal retentive he is. Everything, from the way he cooks meth to his sandwiches, has to be just right. It's also a nice counterpoint to show that while he thinks that way, he's allowing his life to spiral out of control without realizing it.

I could totally see Hank getting knocked off for two reasons.
    1) Vince Gilligan has said this show, realistically, only has about four seasons in it before it runs its natural course (i.e., Walt ends up dead or in jail). Within that timeframe, Hank's usefulness is running its course.
    2) We've seen a natural progression up the drug ladder from Walt and Jesse over the course of the series. In season one they became neighborhood kingpins. In season two they took over Albuquerque. I always assumed this season would continue that trend and have them eventually running Gus' operation by the end.
    Now, within that rise has been a tremendous amount of luck. The two neighborhood dealers in the first episode, then Hank taking out Tuco last season. Having someone deal with Hank would also continue that pattern. And having Hank killed -- maybe even putting Walt in a situation where he has to choose between himself and Hank -- would also push Walt farther down that dark path he's on.

Whatever happens, it seems like this Sunday is an important episode. I listened to Sepinwall's podcast and he was raving over it (didn't give any spoilers, but he said he had screened it already). And the BB Insider podcast also hinted at major events.
    Should be a fun time. Hope Hank wears his ax-proof vest.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That is the most anxiety I think I have felt while watching episodic television, simple as that.

Modified in deference to over "evering" and the "first ever" thread.

6. Unbelievable episode. Best of the season. Maybe best of the series. That final few minutes was outstanding.

I haven't been watching "Treme," but BB has my vote for best show on TV.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hank is a bad motherfucker.
    It was also good to see the long tradition of gruesome Breaking Bad deaths continue. Not as good as a severed head on an exploding tortoise, but still enough to get a "Holy shit!" out of me.

So who tipped off Hank? It had to be Gus, right?

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Perhaps, but why would he? I guess to get rid of the cousins, who were loose cannons and didn't give a shit about his business interests...and he could have somebody else do it and not get in trouble with the bad guys in Mexico.

I guess I answered my own question.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The trailer at the end of the episode might have indicated otherwise. Looked like Gus' Mexican connection was pissed.

Just a great, great show. I wish more people were on board.

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

So...were they cousins or brothers?

They have been referred to as cousins since they first appeared, but in the opening flashback their uncle called them brothers.

Either way, glad they are dead.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

They're brothers, but they're Tuco's cousins.

And one ain't dead; the guy Hank crushed between the cars is definitely around in the next episode, because he's in the trailer. I imagine he'll figure prominently all the way into the season finale.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So, can someone tell me the significance of the clock in Hank's car at 3:08. The camera was on it for more than just a couple of seconds.

Best episode of this season. The parking lot scene was excruciating.

Draft saved Draft deleted