1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Breaking Bad - Season 1"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I've been finally diving into this show. I'm enjoying it so far, but one flaw I'd like to run by the board for its thoughts:

Walter is putting himself in danger to take care of his family because of his terminal cancer. But, honestly, it seems like the creators have done a pretty poor job establishing his devotion to them. He did stand up for his son at a clothing store, but that's about the extent of it. The kid didn't even fee close enough to him to call him when he got busted buying beer. His wife annoys the hell out of him. Constantly. The baby that's on the way only rarely merits a mention. And it's been strongly hinted that he's still pining for Ross's ex-wife's lesbian partner.

Other than that, great stuff. I love the Jesse character, especially how they waited a few episodes to give him some depth with his own family life.

They do need some better female characters. Or at least ones that aren't complete shrews.

I plan to keep binging.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'm pretty sure they were trying to establish him as a pushover. It's the baseline for his evolution. You can be a pushover and still be devoted, can't you?

If you're searching for a strong female character, it's not gonna happen.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's motivated by guilt. He's a brilliant man, who is basically broken. He knows his wife doesn't look at him the way she once did and he knows his son is embarrassed by him, but despite all that, he doesn't want to leave the wife stranded with a newborn and a disabled teenager when he dies... He sees an opportunity and he's going for it...

The show had been on for about a season before I got into it and a friend had said, "It will take you 10-15 minutes to be completely hooked." and he was right...

It also makes you think, "If I was in that situation, would I do something like that?"

You're just getting into it so I don't want to give anything away, but one of the things that I really liked about the show at the beginning is that you find yourself drawn to and sympathizing with someone who is cooking Crystal Meth...

I honestly think the first four seasons are as close to perfection as I've ever seen on TV.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In particular, the last six or so episodes of Season 4 is probably the greatest half-season of TV I can remember.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Do you really need to establish a father's devotion to his family.
    They do set him up early as wimpy to accentuate the change in him, but being wimpy doesn't mean he's not devoted.
    Circumstances allow him to transform himself, and over time you wonder if that was really driven because of devotion to his family.

I stopped watching after about two and a half seasons. I got tired of it, but it is good.

There are strong female characters. There just aren't any likeable female characters.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

White is a dick motivated by greed and vanity.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I think if Lydia is introduced three years earlier, she becomes that character. When they get past her nervous tics, she's a thoughtful, resourceful, cunning woman. They just waited five seasons to get there. It's one of the show's few flaws.

8. Mizzougrad96

Not in the first season.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Skyler is a good character, and I actually grew to like her, at times, in later seasons. Most people, notably Mizzou, strongly disagree with me. I like when she pushes back against Walt in later seasons as becomes an exceedingly bad person.

10. Mizzougrad96

Let's not give too much away on this thread... I want Dick to be able to watch Breaking Bad without knowing too much... Even though having threads like this even people with the best of intentions can give away some tidbits...

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is lack of a likeable female character necessarily a flaw?
    I'm asking honestly. The show became a hit without one.
    Could a show be a hit with strong, likeable female characters but no likeable male character?

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Friends? Joey was a doofus and Chandler and Ross were man-child losers.

Draft saved Draft deleted