1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Break on through

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

No fan of ghosts, but The Doors were my first "favorite" band. Not everyone's cup of tea, but if I like them, they have to be good. I skipped school for a couple of days in my teens to sit in the bowling alley and read " No One Here Gets Out Alive." I had visions of becoming a drunken poet. Still not too late, I guess.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

is there any other kind?

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I recall my high school English teacher giving me a hard time for reading that book during a study hall he monitored. "You can do better than that," he told me.

Hmmm ... let's see ... who got more mileage (and more chicks) out of his poetry: Jim Morrison or my old, bitter high school English teacher?

Case closed.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Maybe Morrison made more money, but I'd say odds are your English teacher had more talent.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yeah, he had a talent for showing movies during class and falling asleep while we pretended to watch.

Not a bad way to spend an hour each day of my senior year, though.

And yes, I too liked the Doors in the high school. I always thought of them as the anti-Beach Boys*

* sad truth: Now I enjoy listening to old Beach Boys albums, especially from "Pet Sounds" through the late 1960s. Yeah, I'm an old guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted