1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brazilian soccer player zapped by lightning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Mar 14, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

As many as can fit in the medical kit.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't care who likes soccer. Some people hate it, and that's fine. many dislike it, and they still cover it like a pro, and don't actively campaign to keep it out of the paper. When hatred doesn't affect news judgment, then it really doesn't matter.

But, I do hate when hatred of soccer - of ANY sport - is worn like a badge of honor by people who claim to be sports columnists and commentators. The Six World Cup Columns of Shame, the potshots at soccer, etc., in media outlets; I could do without those. That's not journalism, it's using the bully pulpit to be a dick.

I like soccer as a winter sport. Keeps the winter preps coverage from being all basketball, all the time, with a nice sprinkling of wrasslin' here and there. It's a nice change of pace, coverage-wise.

As is said every time this particular bash of soccer comes up: parents of all youth sports think their child and their child's team should get more love. It's more about today's parents feeling a sense of entitlement for their children, though AYSO's "Everyone Plays" youth soccer movement of decades ago probably helped contribute to it. Still, some of the t-ball parents I have seen are absolutely psycho. And it was that way when I was a wee laddie.

Shots on goal . . . well, there are some prep coaches who try to give a assist to the player who was fouled in the box, if the teammate nails the ensuing penalty kick. And there are some who give a goalie save to every single time a keeper has to pick up a routine cross. There are also basketball coaches who try to tell you how many charges a dude took, football coaches who try to sneak in assisted tackles (which, let's be honest, are often given to every kid who jumps on the pile), volleyball coaches who want to sneak hitting percentages in, etc.

These stats are all part of the game, and many are not trustworthy. Youth sports have been taken over by overzealous parents.

3. Petrie

Petrie Guest

I've noticed that in the few college games I've done, and it makes perfect sense in those cases. It's many of the high school coaches who tend to confuse me, mainly because they seem to add things up in a similar manner to that of Slappy's coaches...

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The part about worn like a badge of honor is what kills. Like, don't like it ... the viewpoints are what make the world go 'round.

But for chrissakes, if you're not a big fan of it, stop with the consistent cheap shots. I worked for an SE who despised soccer, and it showed in our coverage. The only good thing was our readers knew who did and did not like soccer and the one who did didn't get pulverized by readers.

Parents of athletes feel entitled in every sport. Soccer parents are not unique.

-----
    Thank you for changing the headline, Batman.

Draft saved Draft deleted