1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brazilian soccer player zapped by lightning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Beckham effect should be kicking in any day now.

And Slappy, I'm not sure if it's right or not but I count shots on goal as:
    A) Anything the keeper makes a legit save on
    B) A goal
    C) A shot that hits the crossbar or post
    D) A shot the player intended to put on goal, and that gets reasonably close. Basically, extend the goal frame about two feet each way, and if it's in that window I'll count it. That credits shots that are just high or wide.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I agree. You have to look at it that way.

You can't count a crossbar or pipe as a shot on goal. It is outside the box.
    Shots on goal = goals + keeper saves. A defensive stop did not get to the goal so it isn't a shot.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It's got nothing to do with Beckham. 3.2 million registered youth soccer players, 900k registered coaches and volunteers in the United States, per the US Youth Soccer Association, and growing.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

All with a sense of entitlement, that their sport -- no matter how new or how few people play it in their own corner of the 48 -- be granted instant parity or more in newspapers than more established sports -- because their children try hard too.

(sorry, that's my underlying dislike of soccer. Parents who feel their kids are entitled for no other reason than it's their kids playing. I can watch A level games, almost enjoy them even. The people who have nothing to do with what's being play are what turns me away.)

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And I empathise with that competely. But I'm sure you probably get the same thing from many other sports, as we get with soccer and a lot else besides, and yet probably don't hate baseball, softball, basketball or whatever.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not really -- other than lacrosse, which is embryonic here.
    It's the "my kid plays it, therefore we demand parity with sports like baseball, football or basketball" attitude. Despite all the loud niche sport parents, no sport has consistently caused parental problems with demanding coverage like soccer.

The coaches want you to cover their game every time, yet can't take the time and effort to find out the first name of little goalie "Jones" who stopped 14 of their errant shots. Even swimming and cross-country parents don't have this sense of entitlement.

7. I blame soccer

8. Petrie

Petrie Guest

I'm relatively new to the sport, so this helps a lot. In my area, coaches usually will have total shots and shots on goal. In their cases, the aforementioned (D) counts as a shot, but not one on goal. Anyone else heard of anything like that?

About the reason for the thread, that is just unreal. Probably a good thing it was a mid and not a GK in contact with one of the posts...

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I've been able to train the ones down here pretty well, but as far as high school sports are concerned are around here, soccer is close to basketball in the winter thanks to the talent in the area, which means they get pretty equal coverage.

That comes from having some excellent club programs, which get their own recognition in our community sports section.

And Petrie, yes, most professional and college soccer stat sheets will have total shots and shots on goal.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well of course you do......

11. Sorry, GB, just kidding.

I neither love nor hate it. I don't understand the love, but I also don't understand the hate.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

How many "magic sponges?"

Draft saved Draft deleted