1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brazilian soccer player zapped by lightning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Re: Finally! Something interesting happened at a soccer game!

Classy, Batman, real effing classy.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well it didn't kill him, Bubs.. geez, he was treated and released....

(wonder if he flopped or there was actual contact)

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The soccer bashing by people purporting to be sports journalists is very tiresome and shallow.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Look, I'm the first to say that Brazil and Italy lead the world in flops, and while their skill boosts the game, the acting takes something away.

It's still no reason to cheap-shot soccer. There are lots of fun-running jokes on the board - "I blame soccer" is at the top of the list - but this isn't funny, Batman.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You are a Keaton Batman and not a Bale Batman, right?

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Eh, I like the Keaton Batman in the first one. Bale was much better, though.
    As for the thread title, the guy lived. And I hate soccer. And I will continue to hate soccer as long as my state's high school association continues to sanction it as a winter sport.
    Didn't realize we had so many Capri Sun junkies here. My humble (if snarky) apologies.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I understand it, I cover it, I can -- given the right level of play -- appreciate the intricacies of it. I don't have to like it.

Case in point: had an instance the other night where a team called in results with it having 49 shots on goal in an 11-2 win. The other keeper was credited with 27 saves. I got into it with the stat guy, telling him that shots on goal need to be just that. "NO!!!! IF A KEEPER COMES OUT TO MAKE A SAVE AWAY FROM THE NET AND ITS IN THE BOX AND SOMEONE IS WITHIN DISTANCE OF HIM IT"S A SHOT ON GOAL!!! I'VE BEEN DOING THIS 15 YEARS..."
    Quit inflating your stats, dickhead.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Didn't say you had to like it. There are sports I don't like. But the "Fuck Soccer" vibe I get from some on here (not you, Slap) is vexing.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I always thought Batman was smarter than this. And you're going to be a hateful little man, since soccer in the U.S. is going nowhere but up.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, now explain to me the shots on goal thing, because I will tell this SOB off during the season. You can't credit a keeper save -- or shouldn't be able -- if the shot isnt on the goal mouth And you can't -- or shouldn't -- credit a shot on goal if it goes wide, but still travels through a box. It's like calling a lateral pass through the crease in hockey a shot on goal even if it never heads toward the net.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Personally, I approach it like a hockey game. The number of shots on goal should equal the number of saves and goals combined.

However, I know that some, including ESPN, give saves when goalkeepers catch or punch crosses out of the penalty area, since in either of those actions they prevented a scoring chance.

If you look at the Rangers-Werder Bremen gamecast on ESPN yesterday, Bremen had 14 shots on goal, and scored once. However, Rangers goalkeeper Allan McGregor was credited with 16 saves.

Draft saved Draft deleted