1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bravo to Jason Taylor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Dec 29, 2006.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So wait, you're saying you think steroids help keep people OFF injured reserve???

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't a rule or stipulation anywhere in Merriman's contract or in the league labor rules about banning someone from receiving a league award for getting caught with a positive piss test. Secondly, the fans voted, end of story. Most fans don't give a shit most of the time about who's positive or not, which pretty much explains why we're such a "forgiving nation" when it comes to athletes and others who get busted.

Jason, why don't you ask your coach if he's going to stay or call in the Mayflower during the dead of night to move his shit to Tuscaloosa? Oh, by the way, enjoy golf season with your bro-in-law. :)

3. In some ways, yes, they do. That's the whole lolgical basis for the "I have to do them to keep up with the guys who do" peer-pressure argument. And D3 reeled in the real truth -- any award that is fan-based is going to treat the steroid issue far more leniently than is a media-based award because, frankly, most fans don't care about it as much as the media does.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When it comes to football, I think you're correct. When it comes to some other sports, I don't think that's true. I realize it's a double standard, but people long ago accepted the fact that performance-enahcing drugs are a part of football. I think, in part, this is because football has been the most evolutionary of the major sports. The game of the 30s looked nothing like the game of the 50s, which looked nothing like the game of the 70s, which doesn't quite look like the game of today. Football isn't weighted down by its history, traditions and records, so fans were more willing to accept the change of players turning themselves into superhuman freaks.

Draft saved Draft deleted