1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

braves dodgers deal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Jul 28, 2006.

1. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Wasn't Betemit the one who was being held back because of the presence of the not-much-older Furcal?
    Now the Dodgers have them both.

P.S. Mondesi's biggest problem was Mel Gibsonitis (see other thread).

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I can't remember which rumor mill I saw it in, but there was a supposed Betemit-Scott Proctor deal on the table. Scott fricking Proctor? Not sure if this was a good deal or not for the Braves - Betemit seems like one of those guys who has been a prospect forever - but at least they got more than some crappy middle reliever. (They got a crappy setup guy and a prospect ;) :))

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Count me in the "when Betemit is given a spot everyday, he's going to be really good" crowd.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

He would never have been as good as Glenn Hubbard.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Who would have been?

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I don't like this trade, because Chipper has become the second coming of Chris Chandler. LA will love Betemit. Every time he plays he does something to help the team. Newsday had the Betemit/Proctor deal two days ago. AJC followed it yesterday. I can't remember another deal where I thought Scheurholz got hosed, but that's how I feel about this one. I had the impression he had consummated it during the game, because when Chipper got hurt TBS showed a shot of him in his box and he looked like he was about to throw up.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Or Rafael Ramirez. ;D

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Braves are still done. They are also back behind the Marlins. The Marlins are 6 games behind in the wild-card race. Get your Marlins playoff ticket requests in now.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Are you my daddy?

This lifelong Braves fan hates the deal, too. My only consolation is that John Schuerholz is that greatest front-office guy in the history of sport, so if he likes the deal, it can't be that bad.

10. My first reaction as that it was a bad move by the Braves to trade Betemit but after taking a look at what Betemit has done on the road in his career - I'm not so sure.

Betemit road - 125 G / 292 AB / .264 BA / .312 OBP / .744 OPS

Compare that to what Betemit does at home:

Betemit home - 108 G / 203 AB / .305 BA / .383 OBP / .815 OPS

This year at home Betemit has been red hot:

Betemit home 206 - 39 G / 75 AB / .333 BA / .412 OBP / . 958 OPS

No wonder Braves fans love the guy. They see him play at a home game and he looks like a stud. However, going to Chavez Ravine will probably not improve his "road" numbers so I doubt we are looking at the second coming of George Brett. My advice to fantasy baseball guys is to NOT go out and grab Betemit thinking that he's going to be a stud now that he'll be getting a full-time playing opportunity.

And Moddy - I'm assuming that you've seen Betemit play on the road because he only has 3 career HR at Turner Field.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Lou, I think it's always been a matter of letting him play consistently. I don't have his splits from when he filled in for Chipper this year, but I believe his numbers were pretty decent. I think he's ready to be the everyday player people thought he was 2-3 years ago. Now we get to see what he'll bring to the table every day, iffin that's the Dodgers' plans; and as a Dodgers fan, that better be the plan.

12. Chipper missed most of April and for that month Betemit hit just .250 with a .735 OPS in 60 AB. Of course it could be that Betemit was just getting off to a bad start but I think John Schuerholz got the best of this deal. He improves his weakest area (bullpen) and he gets the inside track for re-signing Baez for next year plus Aybar could easily replace Betemit as a bench player.

Draft saved Draft deleted