1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Braun suspension - remainder of 2013 season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The hilarity in this is that some otherwise intelligent people believed he was set up or the sample was tampered with. Braun deserved to get off because procedures weren't followed but to believe in some grand conspiracy was mind boggling.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The fun part of all this is how angry people get about this crap, when there are all manner of scoundrels who do things we should really be saving our pissed-offedness for.

3. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Don't worry, people will move to something else tomorrow.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I guess hypocrite is in the eye of the beholder.

Your comments on the previous threads are amusing too. Not as amusing as oop's and Tony's, but amusing nonetheless.

Hey, I got taken for a ride by Melky Cabrera last year. It's going to happen to every fan base. But when the first rumors about it came out, I wasn't naive enough to cling to his denials and the "there's no way" position.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not the same. Part of that is Melky Cabrera, et al, never had their positive tests leaked before the process was over, so you or someone else never had a chance to believe they were innocent. Procedure was followed in those cases. In Braun's original case, it wasn't, his case was (rightly) tossed, and it will lead people to believe he was wronged. We know better now, but to go back and attribute blame with hindsight is stupid.

MLB has no right to be doing a victory dance over any of this. If they hadn't fucked up the original positive, they'd never have been in the bind they found themselves in with Braun to begin with.

And for all of the Twitter-rage I read about how Braun should apologize to the tester (even though the tester did fuck up), who apologizes to Shyam Das, who was merely doing his job and got fired for it?

6. LongTimeListener

There were rumors about Cabrera. To the point that the lead beat reporter asked him about it. That was a few weeks before the decision came down.

And the tester did not fuck up. He used procedures established by the testing program. Those procedures had been used time and again, and Braun's people built a whole case around whether the shipping site being closed constituted "unusual circumstances." That was a gray area in the agreement, thus a good cause for the legal dispute, but the tester did not fuck up. And what Braun did to him was then, and is even more today, straight out of the Lance Armstrong playbook.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Whew!

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Now there is actual evidence that he cheated.

Of course, most of y'all STILL don't understand the point I was making.

And A_QB still has no credibility on this subject. He still thinks anybody who ever spoke to Tony LaRussa used.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, of course it's gonna be higher for Bonds, because Bonds is the one who broke perhaps the game's two most hallowed records.

Equally or more douchebaggy though he may be, at least Braun's cheating didn't materially impact baseball history in the same lasting manner. He'll be remembered as just another amongst many PED cheaters, whereas Bonds is remembered as the guy whose cheating made a laughingstock of the record book.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sutcliffe during the Yanks-Rangers game just went on a mini-rant using Wally Joyner as the example of clean worker bees who have been fucked the most because of the roids, juices, creams, andros and needles, needles, needles galore. In '86 he was voted into the ASG but then never again because of the rise of the McGwires and Palmeiros of the world.

"How many more Wally Joyners are out there?"

Aaron Boone didn't quite know how to answer.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Silly me actually asking for evidence before tossing accusations of PED use. I don't know what I was thinking.

12. LongTimeListener

None of us know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.