1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Braff back for 7th season of Scrubs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Mar 6, 2007.

1. I think dools was being sarcastic. At least, I hope so. :-\

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That atypical humor is why Scrubs hasn't caught on with the wider population. They see JD daydreaming and think it's stupid.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, it's in syndication, so NBC makes a fortune off every episode that's made...

That's why shows like "According to Jim" and "King of Queens" haven't been canceled yet, even though I think this is the last season for both... Once a show hits syndication, it's in the best interest of everyone involved to keep in going as long as possible...

I'm actually surprised Braff is "only" making $350K an episode... I figured it would be at least twice that...

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm a viewer since day 1 and I'm surprised. The show really has been going through the motions in the past season and 1/2, but it still has a fantastic cast. I wonder what they are going to do with the whole baby thing with JD.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Never saw an episode of Scrubs until it hit syndication. Now I watch it every single night. Absolutely love the show...might be my favorite show now that 24 is starting to lag. I'm trying to avoid most of the new shows until I catch up with the reruns, so I'm glad to see it's got a chance to return for another season.

I can't believe what they fit into half an hour. And I can't believe a half hour show could have so many well-defined characters: J.D., Turk, Carla, Elliotte, Bob, Cox and The Janitor, plus The Todd, Jordan Sullivan and the poor lawyer guy. It would be so easy to simply paint Kelso as the evil head of the hospital, Cox as the unyielding hardass bent on breaking newbies and The Janitor as comic relief. But Kelso has issues with his son and Cox is incredibly complicated and the episode with The Janitor explaining why he wanted to work in the hospital--and feeling as if he made a difference by fixing the paralyzed patient's computer--was incredibly touching.

Cox is quite possibly the best character on TV. Are you serious that McGinley has never been nominated for an Emmy? That's a fucking crime. Best Cox line to JD: "I'm gonna write you out a prescription for two testicles. You go and get it filled whenever."

You just don't see a show with such joy in the writing and acting, such remarkable chemistry between the cast and such brilliant use of music. Every soundtrack is dead on perfect.

And I love the unpredictability...you don't know if the show is going to deliver uproarious laughs or a punch to the gut.

Funny thing is I could do without JD. Braff just rubs me the wrong way.

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

This is also proof that Braff's would-be career as a film auteur is idling in neutral ... nothing doing to capitalize on Garden State, so he's sticking with TV.

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

There had been talk that he would play Fletch in an attempt to revive the franchise, which would be a smart move for all involved, IMHO.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or he's thinking he could make $8 million for a season's work and still have enough time to do indy movie projects.

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Like BYH, I didn't get into Scrubs until I watched it in syndication one night. The appeal is that it's smart comedy - not mindless comedy - and it's quirky. Good quirky, and a bit of exaggeration to help its laugh factor.

I like to think of it as ER meets Seinfeld.

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I'd say more ER meets Malcolm in the Middle. Lots of talking to the camera and direct physical-comedy "zany" that was never present in Seinfeld outside Kramer.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

To me, the beauty of the show is there is no comparision to make. I don't think it's like ER, because it's not melodramatic. And Seinfeld would never reveal the vulnerability of its characters quite like Scrubs does.

It really is like nothing else out there.

I'd be surprised if the ratings are lower this year than last. My guess (and it's only a guess) is there's a lot of people out there who never saw the show in first-run because NBC kept jerking it around (hi Joe Rossi!). But they've caught it nightly in syndication and have become hooked. I also bet DVD sales are way up...I always say I won't get the DVDs of a show I can watch every night in reruns, but there's so much to every episode of Scrubs that I think I'm going to break my rule.

So between the popularity of the show in syndication and DVD sales, there's plenty of reasons to milk the cow some more.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The last episode with Brendan Fraser as Jordan's brother/Cox's best friend gave me the biggest unexpected kick to the gut since Henry Blake went down in the Sea of Japan.

Draft saved Draft deleted