1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brady Quinn on Tim Tebow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 21, 2012.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The highlight of Quinn's career was when people were debating Russell v. Quinn for the No. 1 pick. Since then, the wizard has been exposed. Always remember the source, not the words.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Quinn was on a billboard, or several, at some point in his career. May have been during his CFB days, as a Heisman PR stunt. But I do recall some commotion over his billboard. I'm just too lazy to google it.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

The EAS campaign included a lot of billboard advertising, I vaguely recall.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Contract was already up and he wasn't coming back.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So he just got lonely and decided "Look at me"?

The guy has had every opportunity in the world to win playing time for five years now and couldn't do it. He couldn't hold off Derek Anderson and couldn't mount even a hint of a challenge against Kyle Orton, for Christ's sake.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In my opinion, Tebow is the second-best college player of my lifetime, behind only Herschel Walker... He's also probably the most popular player to come out of college in at least a decade, maybe longer.

If Tebow was standing on the sideline holding a clipboard, the cameras are going to find him.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Even though he's a douche, I agree with Quinn on a lot of that.

A lot of Tebow's success was luck (cough Marion Barber) and people who make a public spectacle out of praying have just as much of a "look at me" complex as any other person who wants attention.

I've never understood why those who believe in God feel the need to show it to the world. If you truly believe, than you know that God knows how you feel. You're showing it off for your own benefit, not his.

And proselytizing via football field prayer? Please. If someone's faith is cemented by watching someone on TV pray on a football field, than the foundation of that person's faith frankly, well, sucks.

And as far as giving God glory for athletic success? I seriously doubt God has a fiver on the over/under on any given game, so I seriously doubt God would care about the outcome of any game.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Haven't we (as a board) done this enough? It's bullshit. He doesn't just answer questions about his faith. He answers questions about everything else by talking about his faith. If you don't see that, you just aren't paying attention.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

See that's where I think you're wrong. God is totally a bookie. Think about it. St. Peter is up there at the gate, watching the door to make sure only the right people get inside. Lucky for St. Pete, God is forgiving. All that crying he did the morning of Good Friday? Pete lost big in a Centurion battle. God forgave, and how Pete is a right-hand man. He's got the gate, and whatever else needs done.

10. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Something must be wrong with my eyes, because all I can see when I try to read what Quinn says is, "Wahhhhhhhhh!"

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

No offense, but this sounds an awful lot like, "If only we can drive all people of faith underground we'll have the perfect society."

12. sportbook

sportbook Member

But his faith is central to who he is and everything he does. Many people don't compartmentalize their faith.

Draft saved Draft deleted