1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Braces, a load of bullshit: advice needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doggieseatdoggies, Jul 21, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My three boys all had braces at the same time: $15,000 and only a part of it covered by medical.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Screw that, I had my braces taken off about 8 years ago and I still have to wear a damn retainer every night. I want to get a permanent one put it, but it's gonna cost a shit ton.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I always hated wearing retainers, and I would always take it out when I was eating. I couldn't chew with it on.

The dentist and my parents would always complain that I was taking it out. Yet, my teeth are fine 20 years later.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Orthodontics work when you have a competent, no-BS orthodontist and a child who follows the course of treatment.

My teeth never moved back and I had the cemented bands, tight rubber bands, retainers, the works. I never lost or broke any of it because I wanted to get the damn things finished and off.

Child No. 1 has them on right now and the teeth look great. Child No. 2 probably will get them within 18 months.

Insurance pays almost all of it.

My advice is to shop around. Our regular pediatric dentist wanted to charge almost double what it costs with the current orthodontist. Unless you're on a restricted insurance plan do some comparisons, ask friends who they used and go with your instincts.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I would bet there are deals to be made out there, so yeah, look around.

My kid still needs to wear the retainer occasionally. If he doesn't, the teeth do move back.

Growing up, there was no way our family could afford braces, and I had two buck teeth. Luckily(?) they were all but knocked out in a football accident, so I had to get crowns (and a massive root canal that left me with two black eyes for a week.)

6. John

John Well-Known Member

In the late 80s, me, my two brothers and my dad all had braces at the same time. I think our family alone put a new wing on our orthodontist's house.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I can't believe some of you have orthodontics covered by dental or medical. I don't.

The oldest princess needs braces soon. I guffaw at this because for the first time ever, her father will have to pay for 75 percent of a medical prodcedure or it ain't happening.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

We have a pretty good dental plan, and the orthodontics are optional. So in the year I knew my kid would need braces, I took the option and paid a little more each month on my dental plan. But as a result 80 percent of it was covered by insurance.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I never had braces growing up. My teeth look fine for the most part, though they align more like a horseshoe than a perfect arc. I was a lucky one, and so were my parents I guess.

My dentist has encouraged me to get braces every six months. Every six months, I tell her to suck it. I'm almost 30 and I'm not spending several grand for a minimal improvement.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I was blessed with straight teeth, and never had the need for braces. My three girls, on the other hand, I can already tell will need major, major work done. I'm thankful my wife was smart enough to put us on the premium dental plan at her work.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I got mine done when I was 25 or so. It was not a minor improvement, however, as I had buck teeth and a TERRIBLE overbite. All much better now.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I wore my retainer for 6-8 months, lost it in Vegas and never got another. My teeth shifted a little bit, but not badly.

Draft saved Draft deleted