1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bozeman Daily Chronicle sports page designer-copy editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Seattle Hurler, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Nope. But my Web browser most likely can.

2. Jeff Welsch

Jeff Welsch New Member

I'll weigh in here: In 30 years in the ink-stained wretch biz, I've always had great jobs in highly livable places -- but the Chronicle and Bozeman are in leagues by themselves. Granted, Montana isn't for everybody, but for the right person this is a terrific opportunity.

The Chronicle is an anamoly amid all the doom and gloom on this board. In the three-plus years I was sports editor, the circulation rose from about 16,400 to just over 18,000 by the end of November. Some of the growth is a function of living in a boomtown (housing crisis? what housing crisis?), but much of it is the commitment management has to its readers and local coverage.

We cover Montana State football and men's basketball home and away; we sent three staffers to all MSU football games this past fall. In 2006, a photographer and I spent three weeks in Alaska covering a local musher in the Iditarod. The series was kind to us in the APSE contest, but more important, our readers ARE STILL talking about what the Chronicle did. After I started here in 2004, I kept waiting for the honeymoon with readers to end. It never did. I'm still amazed that positive reader comments about what we do run about 4 to 1 compared to criticisms from parents. I guess people here are too laid-back to get overly worked up over what is or isn't in the sports section.

This is a contented and productive staff, in part because it's a great place to work but also because it's a great place to live. For a copy editor, you get to play by day -- fishing, skiing, etc. -- and work by night, and yet the bars on Bozeman's lively Main Street are still open after
    deadline. (Note: If you're a single guy, good luck. They don't call it Man-tana for nothin'). It's a bit spendy here, but the recreation is cheap and the pay isn't bad for an 18,000-circ paper.

Yeah, I'm leaving the biz, but it has absolutely nothing to with any flaws with the Chronicle. You'll work for a pro in Jim Cnockaert, who turned my job offer down once but now is entrenched to the point where he is the unquestioned Mr. Rodeo of Montana Journalism. New managing editor Nick Ehli is a terrific newsman with a passion for sports, a better guy and has a decent baby hook on the basketball court. New publisher Stephanie Pressly has proven open to any creative idea.

I simply had an offer I couldn't refuse, at a time when I'm ready to do something else in an area that speaks more to my passions. I'm happy to answer any other questions about the Chronicle or Bozeman, either on here or via a PM. Hang in there, folks ... sports journalism still beats working for a living.

-- Jeff Welsch

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I would love to live in Bozeman...

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Who wouldn't?

Probably can't afford to buy a house in town though. Fucking Californians have really driven up home prices in places like Bozeman. One of my girlfriends and her hubby wound up buying a good 45 minutes outside of town to get something decent they could afford.

5. jps

jps Active Member

Sounds about right ... the Paradise Valley is just a tad out of most price ranges, I'd think.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

When did Stephanie go to Bozeman? She wasn't in Nampa for very long. Anyone know the story there?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

diverse as hell, too.

Races in Bozeman:

White Non-Hispanic (93.8%)
    American Indian (1.9%)
    Hispanic (1.6%)
    Two or more races (1.5%)
    Other race (0.5%)

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Pretty much like the rest of the Montana. The all-white atmosphere (once you get off the Flathead Reservation) isn't just the snow.

9. Jeff Welsch

Jeff Welsch New Member

When did Stephanie go to Bozeman? She wasn't in Nampa for very long. Anyone know the story there?
    [/quote]

We swapped publishers with Nampa in the summer ... Rick Weaver went over there. Both were looking for a change, for different reasons. Stephanie's husband is a native Montanan.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

We swapped publishers with Nampa in the summer ... Rick Weaver went over there. Both were looking for a change, for different reasons. Stephanie's husband is a native Montanan.
    [/quote]

That's cool.
    I guess I didn't realize Bozeman is in Pioneer's chain.

11. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Congrats, Jim.
    I'll be honest ... don't know much to anything about the Montana market, but Cnockaert is good people and makes a great boss. You can do worse in the biz ... much worse.

12. Seattle Hurler

Seattle Hurler New Member

This one comes from the For What It's Worth Department:

Outgoing sports editor Jeff Welsch posted recently that Montana still rates its nickname "Man-tana" because of the high ratio of men to women. That's still true in much of the state, but it's changing in Bozeman. The Chronicle recently did a demographics breakdown, and the ratio of men to women in the Gallatin Valley is right around 2 to 1. It's a lot better than I expected.

Draft saved Draft deleted