1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bozeman Daily Chronicle Sports Editor -- Bozeman, Montana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

what state is that in, mark? because you've tipped your hand in what state you last worked, so i think you're lying.
    what you are suggesting is against the law in a big way ... in that state.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Just realized I said unused holiday pay. Definitely meant vacation pay. Sorry, Christmas is on the brain.

And Mark, in that scenario, it seems like if people had vacation time built up, they could technically use it during their time in between jobs (say you had one week of vacation and one week of lag time between starting a new job you never told your old boss about). Say "I'm going on vacation for a week," have it granted, and then just call up and quit all of the sudden without notice to make sure your paid for that time without ever technically taking a vacation. Would it be a total jerk move to likely get you black-balled in the future? Absolutely, but seems like a possibility.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

matt - the state in which mark suggested he worked in, you had to get cashed out for your vacation time on the way out the door. i have no idea why he's attempting to pin himself up on the cross here.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I dunno. It was a company policy across many papers in different states. Not a lawyer and it wasn't worth fighting over.

So I took vacation time, came back, gave notice. No big deal.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

that seems odd, because when most people leave a place of work, they are going to another and can't give a month's notice ... so that really doesn't seem terribly legit.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

It could be worse. Some places pro rate it. So if you use all your vacation and quit 2/3rds of the way through the year, they take 1/3rd of that vacation money from your last paycheck. What an industry!

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

some states don't have to give you any. when i worked in the midwest, they gave me mine because they liked me. the guy who left before me ... not so much.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I don't know how the policy evolved. I confirmed it with corporate HR before making my move "official". Everyone had known it for months, but I hadn't put anything in writing until after coming back from vacation.

I guess, technically, you are not required to give any notice and could call in from vacation spot and say "See ya". My boss, the executive editor, got about 10 minutes when the corporate people came in and told him he was out in a reorganization. And he was out right then, not at the end of the week.

Our SE did the same thing I did: took vacation, came back, worked two weeks and then left. Other companies I worked for had different policies.

Draft saved Draft deleted