1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boys playing on girls field hockey teams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Coalition takes field hockey concerns to state house

Boys are able to play on these teams because there's no equivalent boys sport.

I'm guessing some of these kids are ice hockey players. Maybe some are from other countries where men's field hockey is much more popular and this is the only chance they have to play the sport here.

Most of the old-school field hockey coaches in this state can't stand this. Mostly, they can't stand losing to the teams that have boys on them. Is the problem that boys are allowed to play on girls teams or is it that they're usually good enough to make a difference?

It just seems to me that a lot of arguments like this in high school sports are kind of self-serving. Would anyone mind if a boy was an average or below-average player and the school just needed warm bodies to field a team?

How is it any different than a girl playing football or wrestling?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A few sticks to the balls should discourage them.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

A little bit of common sense goes a long way.

Of course boys dominate field hockey. On the whole, men are stronger and faster than women. If you disagree, then I look forward to watching the MMA 160 pound female champion take on 160 pound male champion. Or the female middle weight boxing champion take on the men’s middle weight champion.

If boys want to play field hockey, have them make all male AAU teams and play each other.

If a female is good enough to make a male team, she should play. The converse does not apply.

Fuck me, people are stupid.

OscarMadison, heyabbott and Iron_chet like this.
  4. Starman

This is a continuing stealth campaign to destroy female scholastic sports such as softball and basketball, by allowing/ encouraging males who are utterly incapable of making the boys' teams, to barge onto the girls teams and kick asses of all the physiologically smaller and weaker female players.
    In short order of course under such circumstances, all the girls will quit, leaving the former girls' varsity team as the "Level D-minus" boys teams, full of Waldos wearing black socks, thus releasing schools from the responsiblity of fielding such teams.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Many years ago, I coached my daughter's rec league field hockey team. We lost two games each of the first two years and no games each of the last two. We had two players who were all-state for their high school teams. We were very good (if poorly coached). A young man who served as a manager/trainer type for the high school team helped out and now and then would grab a stick and take part in some of our drills.

His shot was so much harder, so much faster than theirs. An average 16-year-old athletic male is indeed stronger and faster than an average 16-year-old female. There's a serious risk of injury in that kind of situation and common sense says it has to be avoided.

But common sense, common decency and common courtesy have something in common - they are not very common.

My daughter was a very good player. Not all-state level, MAYBE good enough to play Division III if she wanted. Tough, strong, competitive as hell. There's no way I would have let her play full-speed against boys.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Starman

The boys who want to play field hockey are the guys who get run off the field in the first 10 minutes of lacrosse practice.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What self-respecting boy would wanna play under these conditions? And what parent would allow their kids to do it, either?

Sea Bass likes this.
  9. Starman

Assholes who sit around bitching about paying taxes for girls sports teams and want to "prove some points" so they can go to the bar and brag about how their boy got cut from freshman basketball but kicks ass against the girls.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The leading scorer (boy) is the coach’s son so I’m guessing he just grew up around the sport and grabbed a couple buddies to join him.

I laughed a little at the quote from the girl that “put it all out there on the field but that didnt help me stop him.” ... that’s high school sports. The future HR director who tried to guard Zion in 11th grade or chase Alex Morgan could’ve said the same thing.

SFIND likes this.
  11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted