1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy, this Beckham thing started out to be a disaster. It's been great since.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 6, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Re: Boy, this Beckham thing has been a disaster

If the casual fan is buying tickets because of Beckham, if there is increased media coverage and television ratings because of Beckham, he's done his job.

Anything he does on the field is gravy.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Oh to think what could have been. "

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Piotr most certainly was being sarcastic; he's a soccer booster.

4. Re: Boy, this Beckham thing has been a disaster

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

My apologies, then. It's tough to discern sarcasm from legitimate douchebaggery (I can think of a couple of people on this thread who read Piotr's post and probably got serious wood.)

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

And those are the people I was poking fun at. Good to know my imitation of the ignorant is still well honed.

Also, the league announced the ESPN rights sale last spring, before the 2006 season. When the Beckham Rule was a rumor, sure to be voted in. But before Beckham lost favor with England after the World Cup, and at a time when few thought he would actually come here before say, age 35.

I don't know about being described as "a soccer booster." I like to think I'm a fan of the game who is also realistic about its prospects in our nation. Maybe soccer defender . .

OK, booster is good.

7. Boom_70

I think "soccer evangelist" is the perfect.

Funny thing about ESPN - a few years back there was not a peep about soccer - now they smell the money and they turn into the eastern soccer network.

All we've heard about for the past month is Beckham - now you have peaked our interest. Time to put up or shut up. Show us what you got Dave.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I thought you were indifferent. Odd that someone indifferent on a topic would be posting on 4-different soccer topics within the last 4-weeks.

Up next Boom rationalizes the Yankees promotion of Philip Hughes as the great savior of the Yankees season only to watch as he can't finish the second game of the season and isn't seen for another two months.

Boom, were asking Philip Hughes to "put up or shut up?"

9. Boom_70

Phillip Hughs is not being paid $250 mil, He is not on cover of almost every national magazine and his wife does not have a reality TV show for starters.

Also baseball does not need saving.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Beckham isn't guaranteed $250m either. But I heard a lot about Philip Hughes. Hell, each week I was reading about how many games he is away. We read about him throwing 50-pitches in the minors.

Also, the Yankees did need saving. Some could argue they still do.

But Boom, really, you seem so interested in a topic you claim to be indifferent about. Why is that?

11. Boom_70

I was indifferent until Dave Beckham came along. Now my interest in soccer and MLS has been peaked by all the promotion.

My last interest in soccer came when Pele came along and that was well worth watching.

Interesting you mention the Yankees - in today's papers Beckham is pictured with Derek Jeter in Toronto. Perhaps he is trying to save the Yankees also.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Well, if Beckham can throw strikes lefty George should sign him.

Draft saved Draft deleted