1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy flies from Calif. to Hawaii in wheel well

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Apr 21, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Experts-stunned-by-local-boy-s-Hawaii-flight-in-5417730.php

A 16-year-old runaway leaves San Jose and makes the five-hour trip at altitudes up to 38,000 feet, where temperatures are -40 to -50. Experts say he would have been unconscious for most of the flight, and he was for an hour afterward on the ground. Then he woke up and hopped out on the tarmac in Maui.

Anything to avoid bag fees, I guess.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

What talk show gets first dibs on an interview?

I'm leaning towards a morning show with the possibility of Ellen.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I would have liked more details on how the kid survived five hours in the wheel well.

Wouldn't he run out of oxygen, even if unconscious? Pretty sure that area is not pressurized.

Paging Doc Talk or some other expert ...

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Some of the stories have said the body can go into some kind of hibernation because of the elements, and there have been other cases of people surviving with body temperatures that should have been fatal.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Wheel wells aren't that big either. He must have been higher up in the plane and maybe it wasn't as cold there and was able to survive.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

He's one very lucky kid.
    A few years ago, around here, the body of a kid dropped out of the wheel well of a plane flying from Charlotte to Boston.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/jet-stowaways-survive-cold-lack-oxygen-23413108

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

What the <i>fuck</i> is that like when the plane is rolling down the runway and taking off?

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

But we probably need not worry that someone who's REALLY sneaky and sinister could get access to a commercial airliner without anyone noticing.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'd like to know, honestly, what would possess anyone -- especially anyone not trying to be "REALLY sneaky and sinister" -- to even think about doing this?

What about falling out from 30,000 feet? What about being blown off/out from winds? What about even being able to hang on? What about the lack of oxygen and pressure? What about depressurization? What about turbulence?

Really, sometimes, people are truly idiots.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He should've worn a GoPro.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Eddie would go.

Draft saved Draft deleted