1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy, 13, Killed, Six Others Wounded in West Side Shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because it's been 106 years and counting since the Cubs won the World Series, that's why.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't think folks should be concerned with Chicago specifically. I think they should be concerned by black youths getting gunned down, whether it's in Chicago, Baltimore, or somewhere else.

It just so happens that a 3-year-old, 11-year-old, and 13-year-old have been shot/killed in Chicago in recent days.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Those 3 deaths are Israel's fault, too.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The sad thing is how numb the country has become to what is now "everyday" violence.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It's an economic agenda, and always has been, for the media.

Newspapers and TV stations want the (predominantly white) affluent readers/viewers so they can attract advertising. Period.

That's the only motive the news media has anymore, and as Alma notes, it's been that way for a while.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

There's an average of 40 murders in the US every day. That fact alone reduces almost all murder stories to local stories.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah.

Except when the victim is a pretty white girl, or it's white on black crime.

This was a multiple shooting though, with a 13-year-old killed.

If this was in an affluent neighborhood, and the kids were white, it would be a huge national story.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Chicago Sun-Times' "Homicide Watch" pledges to cover every single homicide that takes place in the city, both from the victim's perspective and the suspect's. (Though I'm sure there's a reason this doesn't count as actual media coverage.)

http://homicides.suntimes.com/

Is this what you're saying the national media should do? Just for Chicago, or for every major city? Every major city under Democratic control? Every major city with a large black population? Or a large Hispanic population?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

YF, there was a shooting in Houston a few weeks ago -- deranged white man killed a family of six because they wouldn't tell him where his ex-wife was. It received huge local and moderate/minor national play.

Why no thread on it? Surely you want to make us aware of every murder, or at least every multiple murder.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

47 percent of all murder victims are white. And they're almost all local stories. 23% of murder victims are female. And they're almost all local stories. The vast number of all murder stories are local stories. The murder stories that grab national attention are an insanely small percentage.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

People said he was useless, but them people all were fools
    'Cause Charles you're the finest writer to ever spread the news

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree. It would.

But not because of a political agenda.

Draft saved Draft deleted