1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy, 13, Killed, Six Others Wounded in West Side Shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Write me a column, Charles Blow, Charles Blow
    I wish that you was here so everyone would know

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's 10:15 at night, why was a 3-year old even up at that hour?

Would have been better off if the orphanage nuns had put him to bed at 7 after his dinner of mush.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Of course. And, the media helps them publicly share their reactions in a way they don't for the parents and friends other communities.

Professional media and political operatives help them get additional media, and set up meetings with law makers.

A whole industry jumps into action when a shooting happens in an affluent/white area. They are useful for people looking to promote an agenda, and they are not to be wasted.

4. Baron Scicluna

Let me know when the people in the Chicago impoverished neighborhoods finally get do pissed off enough that they care to get rid of the gangs.

5. YankeeFan

Seriously?

A news article in a regional paper vs. a column in The New York Times, which he was able to promote on CNN?

I know which one I'd want if I was trying to promote an agenda.

6. YankeeFan

Ray Rice's wife thinks this kids parents were asking for it.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The predominately white media -- and its majority of white consumers -- have, for decades, hell, forever, too often ignored the murders, discrimination and incarcerations of black Americans. Is that a liberal political agenda? Not particularly, no.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Nice.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Not to pick but real change happens locally.

And in the era of social media every publication has a national reach.

I get it, you revere the Times and think that if they don't write about it, then the news didn't happen.

10. YankeeFan

LOL.

Charles Blow's column kicked off the Trayvon Martin story, and made it a national one with the major news media.

Yes, it was already percolating locally, and on twitter, but it was the attention from a New York Times columnist that gave it the heft it needed to go national.

Whether I "revere" the Times or not is insignificant. Media executives in New York, and around the country, who determine what is news read the New York Times. Politicians, and decision makers across government, in D.C. read the New York Times.

That matters.

Maybe the Illinois Congressional delegation reads the Tribune. No one else outside of Chicago gives a shit about it.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I don't see why I should be concerned about Chicago if most folks aren't concerned about Baltimore or other cities.

12. Baron Scicluna

A riot and lynching of some gang members would get the national media's attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted