1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boxing's biggest championship theft?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Apr 6, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

At least the response was something more in depth than LOL...

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

To steal a line some scribe used for the fight between Joe Louis and Buddy Baer, Hearns hit Duran so hard they could have counted him out in the air.

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Hagler-Leonard is one of the few fights that, in my opinion, you can watch it ten times and have a different score each time.

Everytime I watch it, it gets closer and closer. I think Hagler won the fight, but for a while I thought it was somewhere between a draw and a Leonard split decision. 118-110 is a travesty, however.

Leonard-Hearns was robbery. Someone should have been charged with a felony for robbing Pernell Whitaker.

Lennox Lewis-Holyfield I was pretty bad too.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

I remember watching that fight on TV, and the announcers actually said, "If Roy Jones doesn't win this, there's something seriously wrong in Seoul," followed by the 3-2 score (which surprised me since I didn't even think it was that close), and the Korean guy's hand raised.

I later remember even the Korean guy saying he was ashamed of winning the gold, and that one of the judges said he voted against Jones because Jones was so dominant, he figured the other four judges were voting for him, so he switched to the Korean so the host country wouldn't have an embarrasment of being shutout 5-0.

Draft saved Draft deleted