1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boxing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Shit I wish I stayed up to watch that.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Berinchyk fought more technically and Navarrete did a lot of swinging and missing. The commentators loved Navarrete more but Berinchyk was actually landing stuff. He just wouldn’t throw combos to assert himself.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I thought Usyk won the first two rounds and the last five, which would have made the card 115-112, but I concede there were at least four swing rounds, so I thought the judging excellent, because all three cards felt like they could have been possible. With Fury up going into the seventh he looked fresh and in control, but Usyk is just grinds. He stays on top of you, he forces action and he landed some great one-off shots that set up his big ninth round.

I give Fury a lot of credit too, he had no business surviving the ninth round and the ref exercised great patience waiting for a spot to rule a knockout rather than calling the fight off. Still Fury boxed well in the final three rounds to at least make me feel that at least one of them was a legitimate swing round.

Nice to see a fight of that stature completely live up to the billing. Both of those guys earned every cent they made last night.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Amazing how little morning-after coverage the fight received from the big legacy outlets.

5. Smallpotatoes

And it happened on the 22nd anniversary of Gatti/Ward 1.

6. Smallpotatoes

I’ll have to watch the replay when I get a chance.

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Eh...my mileage varies on that fight. I enjoyed it, but I don't hold it in legendary status regard like others. But that's a good footnote.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Cancel, er, postponed due to an “ulcer.”

Azrael likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

One can only hope it gets cancelled outright, so the Tik Tok guy can fight Butterbean or Tonya Harding or the reliquary finger bone of Tony Galento.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I didn't want Jake Paul to die. But I did want Mike to beat him very, very badly.

matt_garth and Smallpotatoes like this.
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted