1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boxing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Oct 16, 2020.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Wonder how much money exchanged hands before somebody would sanction it.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That horse has a plan until I hit him in the face.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I caught Inoue vs Nery this morning before work. Aside from the first round when Nery put Inoue on the mat. it was a typical Inoue fight. It was very clinical. He just broke Nery down until the fight was over in the sixth.

For a few minutes, however, I wondered if there might be another historical upset in the Tokyo Dome.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That short right, in perfect balance.

Beautiful
    knockout.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Pound for pound one of the greatest punchers in boxing history. As guys move up, especially in the lower weight classes, their power tends to diminish but not this guy (yet, anyway). As for the right that ended it, maybe traveled a foot and set up nicely by a jab. For me, it's like watching guys like Louis and Robinson do the same thing.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Helluva fight.

Usyk.

Wow.

Huggy and Smallpotatoes like this.
  10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, talk about high drama. I know it's a cliche but it was really the tale of two fights: first half was all Fury, I had him up 5-1. He was ripping shots to the body, Usyk was having a hell of time getting close to him and even when he did it didn't look like he could hurt him. Then Usyk owned the second half and I thought ref Mark Nelson did a good job letting it go on in the ninth. Yeah, Fury was hurt but he's been in that situation before and rebounded. I ended up having it 114-113 for Fury with three rounds marked close. Great fight, gotta be a rematch there.

And while it was obvious Fury wasn't the bloated, disinterested guy he was against Francis Ngannou, if you are going to mug and clown for the crowd, don't end up almost getting your ass knocked out later.

And I love boxing but man, a six-hour undercard was a real endurance test.

Smallpotatoes and jr/shotglass like this.
  11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

For what they charge for the pay-per-view I have no complaints about the six hours.

How about Cordina and Sanchez getting upset?

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Nice night for Ukrainian fighters. Usyk’s friend took down 3-time champion Navarrete to capture the WBO lightweight title. Saw up to the 7th round. It was not an interesting fight but still happy for them both.

Draft saved Draft deleted