1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boxer goes seven rounds with broken jaw, retains belt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I used to beat him up all the time when we were kids.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

That guy is tough/stupid.

The belt is great, but I hope he likes baby food since that's probably all he'll be eating for the next six weeks.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Faux sho. But first he needs an operation on the jaw, or at least that's what they were thinking after the fight.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't know about stupid ... at least, no more stupid than being a boxer in the first place.

The damage has already been done. If they can stomach the pain, most boxers will try to win the fight they're in.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I'd tend to agree. But at some point doesn't common sense enter into the equation? Like, 'The belt is nice and all but I'd like to be able to eat and talk like a normal human being afterward'?

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The longer I watch boxing, the more I believe that we not only don't think like boxers do, we have absolutely no frame of reference. They're coming from a completely different place than most of us.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Boxing fans are the same way. I've seen obscenely one-sided fights stopped because they were obscenely one-sided and the fans don't like it.
    After one of them I asked a fan why he thought it was stopped too early and he said "I paid to see a fight."
    Never mind that by the time it was stopped it was no longer a fight, it was a beating.
    In theory, any fighter has a chance of winning until the fight's over. He can always score a knockout no matter how badly he's losing. In reality, of course, it's often pretty obvious that the chances of that happening are about the same as me appearing on the cover of Men's Health.
    There seems to be a mentality among fans (and fighters) that as long as a guy is standing the fight should not be stopped. That's the way it was in the old days and that's the way it should be. It doesn't matter if it's a title fight or a four-rounder.
    The more I watch boxing, the more I think that there's some point out there other than winning and losing, some sort of warrior ethos, some sort of honor in "being carried out on your shield."
    I still think that's all bullshit, but what do I know.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's why "Rocky" and its first three sequels could never be made today. None of the big fights in any of those flicks would reasonably have been allowed to go on for as long as they did.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Broken jaw? Big deal. When's the last time you heard of a really good Colombian fighter?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Unavailable for comment.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Good one, dools. I was thinking of Glass Joe when I first posted the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted