1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Box score question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Jun 18, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

When a pitcher doesn't record an out in an inning, he is usually credited with a "+" to indicate that he pitched in that inning, but didn't record an out (i.e., someone who pitched 5+ innings threw into the sixth, but didn't get an out).

But what about someone who doesn't record an out in the bottom half of the final inning (when the other team scores the game-winner without recording an out)? Is he credited with the full inning or just given a "+"?

I'd guess he gets the full inning, since he did technically complete the inning, but just wanted to check.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

No. It still goes down as 0 innings but at the bottom it will say "Blow pitched to 4 batters in the ninth inning."

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. You only get credited for innings for the number of outs you record.

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Baseball stats make my head hurt.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Same reason you can have an ERA of infinity. Because you can't divide by 0.

Baseball stats are one place where I am completely old-school. Every sportswriter should have a passion for them. Period. :p

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Easy for you to say, shottie. You have the codas to do the stats for you.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

They were little coda embryos when I was keeping stats for my local teener league, buddy. ;)

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Truth is, shottie, old guys like us have a far greater appreciation of keeping score and stats then the generation that grew up with computers to do it for them.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That, I think you'll agree, is one instance where something precious was lost with progress.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Absolutely... and the art reading a full box score and being able to figure out pretty much what happened in the game.

11. bueller

bueller Member

This isn't relevant to the pitcher's stats, but the boxscore will also have the notation "No outs when the winning run scored." I also am a boxscore purist.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well played.

Draft saved Draft deleted