1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bowling history in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://news.pba.com/post/2011/1/22/e2809cMajor-Mikae2809d-Koivuniemi-Wins-PBA-Tournament-of-Champions-Record-24250000-First-Prize.aspx

Match One:
    Koivuniemi def. Gomez, 224-220.

Semifinal Match:
    Koivuniemi def. Daugherty, 299-100.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Championship Match:
    Koivuniemi def. Smallwood, 269-207.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Stop working Webby's corners!

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

"He's got one foot in the frying pan and one in the pressure cooker. Believe me, as a bowler, I know that right about now, your bladder feels like an overstuffed vacuum cleaner bag and your butt is kinda like an about-to-explode bratwurst."

4. mb

mb Active Member

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He's out of the country...

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Watched that this afternoon. It was unbelievable. Two strikes, eight open frames. Not only with that low score never be beaten on the tour, but neither will the margin of defeat. The guy was playing to the crowd pretty nicely. He was having a miserable, embarrassing performance and he actually impressed me with how he handled it. It was actually quite entertaining.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The way ESPN handled both the highlights and lowlights was very well-done.

Credit, where credit's due.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Not to mention yesterday's was the first PBA event televised on ABC in the usual Saturday afternoon slot since 1997 (and first in HD). And the return of Bo Burton.

As someone who regularly watches the PBA TV finals, they way yesterday's was presented (crane camera, HD, more room on lanes and settee for players, positioning of the crowd) felt more like a legitmate sporting event instead of throwing 500 people and a few cameras in your local bowling center as they usually do.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Another great Daugherty quote: "I would have been more upset if I'd shot 260 and lost."

Mika shooting 299 made shooting 100 much easier to deal with ... if he would've shot anywhere north of 240, he would've been kicking himself.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I got a giggle out of that. The usual event hasn't happened in 14 years?

;)

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Bowling used to own the Saturday afternoon slot. So much to the networks didn't put good programming up against it. I've heard that the NBA didn't play on Saturday afternoons, but instead played on Sunday afternoons for that reason.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

OK, should've said its "former" usual spot ... :D

Draft saved Draft deleted