1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bowl thoughts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jan 3, 2007.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Haven't seen a packed venue yet. Seen plenty of $10 tickets at the last minute. Interest in this system is hurt additionally by cost. Fiesta Bowl parking was $100, up $40 from the Big 12 championship game. I figure that's pretty common.

Ultimately, these bowls do what the local C and V bureaus want - not many conventions bring 40,000 to 60,000 people, so who gives a crap about sellouts? It's those people who keep the status quo in the bowl system.

Until there's a playoff, this will be the typical setting. And they'll find the revenue - just like the insane parking costs.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

$100 for parking? I hope that included a happy ending!

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

In short, they're the NFL and the PGA Tour combined.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Did I read this right? ? ? $100 to PARK? WTF???

There has to be somewhere else around there to park. I know there is; I've covered college games at the Fiesta Bowl.

There's no reason to charge $100 to park and even less to pay it. None.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If I paid $100 to park, I would expect to be driven right to the gate and I know that isn't happening. Paying that much for parking is just ridiculous when it's at a stadium is out in the desert way away from the city. Paying $100 is crazy anywhere, but at least if it's in the middle of a big city it is easier to understand.

It shouldn't cost that much to take your family to a game!

6. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

C'mon. $100 for parking, that doesn't make sense. Is there justification for it being that much? Unless the spot is on the 40 yard line.

Draft saved Draft deleted