1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bowl announcement running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

To expand, it's not only about making the most money, but making the most for the most big schools.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Games I'm interested: Boise-TCU, LSU-Ga. Tech, Ole Miss-Texas Tech, Utah-Bama, Florida-Oklahoma. That's it for me.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I wish Boise or Texas Tech would have gotten in over Ohio State, but there's no way the Fiesta was going to go for a Texas-Tech rematch.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If we have to have bowls, I'd like to see pure unadulterated capitalism unleashed. Abolish all bowl tie-ins and forbid any invitations from being offered until the day after the conference championships. That way teams can go after the glamour matchups or the bigger money as they see fit and everyone's cards are on the table. Some rich coot wills $100 M to the Shreveport Chamber of Commerce and they decide to bid on a 1 vs. 2 tilt? Go for it. Overall, I think it would give us more intriguing matchups than we see now.

5. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'll be at the International Bowl. Went to the first one, a damn good game between Cincinnati and Western Michigan but missed last year's Rutgers - Ball State game due to work commitments. Yeah, I know it ain't a BCS game but it's our game.

Don't know what kind of fan base Buffalo has for football but I'd have to think some fans will make their way here (if they're not too pissed about the whole Bills playing in Toronto thing). Any Nutmeg staters wanna weigh in on what we can expect from UConn?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Texas finished .500 points ahead of Florida for the second spot in the computer rankings.
    I'm pleased to see all but three or four ranked teams playing other ranked teams in bowls, but the middle-section (BCS also-ran v. BCS also-ran) bores me. Boise-TCU should be good, Ball State v. Tulsa isn't so bad either, Battle of the super-boosters Okla St. v. Oregon in the Holiday, but that's about it.

A 12-team playoff would rock.
    Oklahoma, Florida, Texas and Alabama would have first round-byes.

First round:USC v. V Tech (winner gets Bama); Utah v. Cincinnati (winner gets Texas); Texas Tech v. Ohio State (winner gets Florida); Penn State v. Boise State (winner gets Oklahoma).

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Is it true the Alamo Bowl Reps have decided to, in lieu of a bowl pay-out, the winner's alumni get to pink-slip the loser's alumni in every newsroom in the country?

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, to you. Don't presume to speak for the rest of us.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Tech got jobbed.

How does a team that is No. 10 in the Big Crocka Shit get a BCS game instead of a #7 team?

Tech will hang a hundred on Nutt.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

IIRC, a conference can only send two teams to the BCS, so TTech wouldn't have been considered. If it hadn't been for that rule, Wisconsin probably would have gone to a BCS bowl in 2006.

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Do they have the early lines yet for all the bowl games?

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think OU will be favored in the title game. Not by much, but probably by 2 or 3 points.

Draft saved Draft deleted