1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bowe Bergdahl to Be Charged

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Starman is stunned that people would have different opinions between what they thought was a captured soldier and what we've since learned is a traitor and deserter. Problem is, Obama already knew Bergdahl was a deserter and traitor when he agreed to figuratively trade five Pro Bowl-type terrorists for a backup punter.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think doing everything we can to bring him home was appropriate. We've paid higher prices (in soldiers lives) in rescue attempts. That said - I think most military families will take comfort knowing that if the U.S. would go that far out of their way to get Bergdahl back, they can expect the same effort if one of their loved ones is lost.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I could see why this would seem a troubling development in a country that makes a habit of ignoring the Geneva Convention.

To recap: This exchange is no different than any of the multitude of others performed at the end of armed conflicts regarding each participant's POWs.

To argue against it is to say Bergdahl should've been left to die or, at very least, did not deserve the due process afforded every American citizen.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's a tough situation. Your heart hurts for the families of the soldiers who died and you hate to see terrorists turned loose. I don't think there's anyone on either side of this who argue those two points.

I'd be very curious to get TBF's opinion on this: Does the fact that the U.S. went to such lengths to return a Bergdahl to his home soil, even if it's to face due process for possibly being a deserter and traitor, make you feel better knowing they would do the same for you, or do you find it insulting that these soldiers died and terrorists were released to retrieve this man?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We leave nobody behind. Isn't that a motto of one of the military branches?

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There are some pretty good reasons for that. He's lucky. There was a time in this world, in almost any army in any country, where that got you shot.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Members of the military don't get the due process afforded civilians. Never have.

10. MisterCreosote

Maybe for minor offenses. For anything more serious, they are absolutely entitled to due process.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"Due Process": It doesn't mean that everyone gets treated equally.

12. MisterCreosote

It also doesn't mean leaving someone to die as a Taliban prisoner.

Draft saved Draft deleted