1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bourbon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Nov 15, 2013.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Pappy Van Winkle. Almost impossible to find and crazy expensive but man alive is it completely worth it.

I've never had anything better. Ever.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Outing alert: JayFarrar is Wright Thompson.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I had Pappy one time in my life. It was incredible. It was also 30 bucks a shot, so it will forever be a one-time delicacy, unless I magically get into a career where I start making shit tons of money.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Agree with every word of this. Bulleit and Buffalo Trace are my best value picks.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I usually drink Woodford, but we had a similar thread several years ago and t_b_f recommended Basil Hayden, which I then tried and enjoyed. It might be a good place for you to start, Sonner, because it's not as intensely flavored as some of the other choices.

And since somebody has to be the pedantic jerk--Jack ain't bourbon, boys.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Be open to the possibility that you'd rather be drinking scotch, which I've found to be true personally.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Old Forester is $19 at BevMo right now.
    I had it once a long time ago. someone gave me a bottle as a gift, and I thought it was quite pleasant.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Woodford. Got into it a long time ago and never felt the need to try anything else.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I tried bourbon during the SJ outing this past August.

The tour was cool. The bourbon was gross. I'm not a bourbon girl.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

"Kentucky on Line 1"

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This being Friday afternoon, I'll be enjoying some corn squeezings in a few hours.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Maker's is the standard. It is the reason we have experienced the small-batch Bourbon boom over the past 10-ish years.

I think the 70s/80s slogan was, "Tastes expensive. And it is."

Although the standard, it isn't quite the best.

Pappy is obviously the best, particularly because of it's rarity. I've tasted comparable whiskys, both Irish and Scotch, that are not nearly as expensive.

On the upper-middle shelf, you have bottles like Blanton's (my personal favorite) and Woodford's Reserve (my go-to).

A step below those, you'll find a host of solid stuff like Makers, Bulleit, Baker's, Booker's, Basil Hayden, Knob Creek, WT 101, and the list goes on and on.

Below that: Beam, Evan, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted