1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bourbon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Nov 15, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I figure it's time to be a man and start drinking bourbon. But I want some of the good stuff. Only I have no idea what the good stuff is. I'm not talking about the $500/bottle Wright Thompson bourbon here. But definitely better than the cheap shit.

I know some of you are alcoholics, so this is probably the place to ask.

What kind of Bourbon do you prefer? How do you drink it? How much is too much to pay for good bourbon at the liquor store and at a bar? Which bourbons are overrated? Which are underrated?

I should probably just consult Esquire, but I thought I'd try here first.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Maker's Mark is my default option.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Bulleit is a nice step up from the Jack/Jim level but not so expensive that it's off-putting. Good flavor. I like it with an ice cube.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Are you a whiskey drinker?

If not, my advice is to start with some cheaper stuff, develop a little taste for it, then you will really notice the difference as you graduate to better bourbon.

Jim Beam is a decent low end bourbon. Maker's Mark is a step up and I enjoy it quite a bit (and it won't break your budget).

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've been a dedicated bourbon drinker for more than 20 years.
    There are a lot of good bourbons out there, but it really depends on your price range.
    You can get very good bourbon for $20 a bottle, but you won't be perceived as hip or as a connoisseur when you drink it.
    You can get better bourbon for $30 or even $50 a bottle, but I don't drink those regularly for two reasons: 1. Although the bourbons are better, they aren't 50%-200% better; B. I'm not poor but I'm not rich.

My mainstay is Wild Turkey 101. It's the best quality-price combination. The 80 is too sweet.
    I enjoy Knob Creek and Woodford. I buy them on occasion, but not often because they increased price isn't worth it on a regular basis.
    I've had Buffalo Trace a few times. Never heard of it until recently. It's quite good.
    Bulleit is often available at a good price at Costco.

Booker's and Baker's are very good, but I can't abide the price.

I tend toward bourbon's with a high rye content. I think they're more complex, probably why I'm fond of Wild Turkey.
    I don't care much for Maker's Mark, which is a wheater, but I'll drink it at a bar if the bourbon selection is limited.

Get a copy of 'The Bourbon Companion.'

7. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Elijah Craig is a great midrange -- I like it better than Maker's in that price range (usually for a little bit less, actually). Smoother and more subtle. On the next shelf up, Blanton's is fantastic. For the cheap stuff, I go with Evan Williams Black -- I much prefer it to Jim Beam straight up or on the rocks. If you're going to mix it, never spend more than that.

I often order Maker's or Knob Creek at a bar because I'll know they have it and unless you're in an upscale place with a whiskey menu or all bottles are easily visible, I sort of feel like a tool asking the bartender to run through the selection. But I never buy either of those to have at home.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Also, I drink my bourbon neat with a beer back.
    During warm weather, I back it with a pale ale, IPA or lager. During cool weather I back it with an IPA, black IPA, porter or stout.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Definitely don't buy good bourbon if you're just going to mix it.

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I usually drink my everday bourbon (Elijah Craig or sometimes Buffalo Trace) neat or with a splash of water. If I want it cold, I'll drink the cheaper stuff on the rocks.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm definitely not planning on mixing it. I'm trying to be a real man here. Please.

Thanks for the input, folks. Keep it coming.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Gentleman's Jack isn't terrible for $35 per bottle, but personally I would much rather pay $23 for a fifth of Jameson or $20ish for a special edition bottle of Canadian Club.

Draft saved Draft deleted